resident work hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthodoctfemur

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I am worried that the resident work hours are going toaffect my training. Are there any residents out there that think this hasaffected their education? Do the programs seem to be enforcing this? I havemixed feelings on the idea.

NJ

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The 16 hour max shifts only apply to interns, so for 4 out of your 5 years of training, your work hours will not be affected (You'll still do 80 or less with some 24 hour calls). The only problem is that instead of getting used to being up all night as an intern (when you have someone looking out for you), you will have to suck at it as a PGY2 (where someone may not be looking out for you). Ultimately I think it will have little effect on your training.

i'll feed the troll...

**** yeah it is gonna affect your education. our program interns are working 1300 fewer hours this year compared to last. where are they gonna learn how to be efficient 2's, alone, overnight? It ain't from reading ****ing HOF and wheelless I know that ****. And who wants to be Chief answering calls all night on mgmt questions for bread and butter **** the inhouse person should know but doesn't because they didn't see enough as an intern? Granted, in our place interns get more than the nationwide average of ortho call during first year. While most poor bastards are working up gallbladders and appys on GS, our 'terns are doing ortho. Just not as much as they did last year...

but honestly, what difference does it make? are you gonna change it?

Members don't see this ad :)
**** yeah it is gonna affect your education. our program interns are working 1300 fewer hours this year compared to last.

The 16 hour shift rule decreased your intern weekly work time by 25+ hours?

The increased # signouts created by the new system is just plain bad news.

I take it back; it was 1900 fewer hours, not 1300.

We had last year a total of 14872 hrs. allotted for floor call or consults. I wasn't at the meeting this info was presented at, so it may include each year that is doing this, i.e. pgy1-3. This year, there are only 12952 hrs. The schedules for the 2's and 3's did not change. I agree it is probably spread over the 4 interns, not 1900 fewer hrs for each.

The number of "shift" changes went up by 100...

I take it back; it was 1900 fewer hours, not 1300.

We had last year a total of 14872 hrs. allotted for floor call or consults. I wasn't at the meeting this info was presented at, so it may include each year that is doing this, i.e. pgy1-3. This year, there are only 12952 hrs. The schedules for the 2's and 3's did not change. I agree it is probably spread over the 4 interns, not 1900 fewer hrs for each.

The number of "shift" changes went up by 100...

As an ortho intern, I know the work hour thing is concerning. But remember a couple of points:

1. By ACGME rules, interns cannot spend more than 3 months of their intern year doing ortho. So other than those 3 months, who cares if they limit your time?
2. At most programs (including mine) there is NO CHANGE in the total number of hours, or total nights we're on call - the time is just divided up differently. Since the 80hr work week has been in place, residents have gotten use to being "post-call". That's a wasted day. At my program, 2s and 3s essentially take Q3 call. Sure that's a lot of days of call, but its also a lot of wasted days. On my first month of ortho, I had NO post-call days. I took 13 "calls" that month which meant I stayed until 10pm. I also did 2 weeks of nights (4pm - 8am) to get the experience of being on call overnight.

In total, the hours and number of nights were the same. The only difference was more cases from having no post-call days (a bonus) and lack of continuity for having to go home after 16 hours (a down-side).

3. As mentioned, these hours only affect interns. And, at my program, we take ortho call 9 of our 12 months as interns. So, we're almost always exposed to ortho in some capacity.

To sum up, I was more worried about the changes before starting than I am now. Trust me, I've been plenty tired so far! The biggest hit to resident education came with the 80hr week - not the 16 hour intern restriction.