Resources for Rad Onc 4th year electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonaki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. I am a Medical student in Canada and thinking of going into Radiation Oncology. I would really appreciate if anyone can share the resources that would help me prep in teh best way for Rad Onc electives in my 4th year. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Essentials of Clinical Radiation Oncology from Cleveland Clinic is brand new with all the new AJCC 8th edition staging. It is basically their clinical residency curriculum in one book.

Amazon product

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I looked at NCCN guidelines - they are free (you need to sign up for an account), and can either be useful for a quick glance (i.e. looking at the flow charts) or you can read some of the more detailed rationale written in the text. They aren't perfect, and in some areas only reflect expert opinion, but if you're able to come up with a plan based on NCCN guidelines as a 4th year medical student, you're in good shape.

Reactions: 1 user
Essentials of Clinical Radiation Oncology from Cleveland Clinic is brand new with all the new AJCC 8th edition staging. It is basically their clinical residency curriculum in one book.

Amazon product

Thanks, it is nice to have a book to carry around in addition to the NCCN guidelines. How does this book compare to the Handbook of Evidence Based Radiation Oncology by Hansen? Wondering if anyone can chime in .

Thanks, it is nice to have a book to carry around in addition to the NCCN guidelines. How does this book compare to the Handbook of Evidence Based Radiation Oncology by Hansen? Wondering if anyone can chime in .
Probably more updated I would imagine. Isn't Hansen a few years old now?

Probably more updated I would imagine. Isn't Hansen a few years old now?

I used Hansen as a student and resident, but it is pretty outdated now. I think it was published in 2010. According to Amazon, there's a new 3rd edition pending this year.

Another handbook I used as a resident was the Q&A by Hristov et al. It's in a similar format to Surgical Recall. Amazon product

Radiation Oncology - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Might be a little busy for a medical student, but if you want to learn more in-depth about papers behind a topic, I don't think there's a better initial source (besides a big textbook).

NCCN guidelines as a medical student is certainly the best place to start IMO.

Thank you all for the advice, it is very helpful for us new comers trying to learn the ropes!