Resources for statistics/behavioral science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPJ13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Statistics and behavioral sciences were the two areas I really did poorly on when I took the USMLE and after going over UW nothing has changed Can someone recommend a book, website, pamphlet, etc. that helped them so I can be better prepared for step 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Yo,

I'd highly recommend Kaplan's DVD lectures on those exact topics for Step 2 (also maybe you will benefit from listening to them for the Step 1 test). In addition, he goes through ethics cases that you will definitely see on the exam. The guy gives the admittedly hairy info in a very theme-based, easy-to-follow manner that will not only get you through the exam but probably also serve as good bases for journal-club type of activities as a resident.

I would ask friends or look at Ebay-type websites for the DVD's. Even if you can't get the DVD's for the particular 2 or 3 topics you're looking for, I'd spring for the whole set anyway and just listen to all of them as part of Step 2 studying, in addition to doing UW. Good luck.

Statistics and behavioral sciences were the two areas I really did poorly on when I took the USMLE and after going over UW nothing has changed Can someone recommend a book, website, pamphlet, etc. that helped them so I can be better prepared for step 2?

1) there arent that many biostats questions on step2...less than step1 imo. I'd skip all the t-square crap and just focus on prevelance, odds ratio, ppv, npv, etc....

2) there are a *LOT* of psych questions(seems like it averaged 5 or so per block), but the good news is that 85% are easy and cannot be missed. Like they'll give you a classic presentation of bipolar1(hooking up with strangers, staying up all night, tons of energy, spending recklessly, basically use every buzzword in the book) and then ask you appropriate pharmacoptherapy....and then list two ssris, a tricyclic, an maoi, and then a mood stabilizier. gee I wonder what the answer is.

Of course the other 15% of the psych questions(at least on my test) were so poorly written as to probably be experimental questions. I had one question that was a question you could ask 10 different pysch attendings and they would be split 5/5 on what to pick.

High Yield behavioral science is excellent. High Yield Biostast is also great if you think you want to spend a little extra effort on Biostat.