Resources for studying for OPP COMAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluemonday

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the OPP COMAT is much harder than most people assume it is, and I'm wondering what sorts of resources are out there for it. I have my school's OPP guide and Savarese (AKA OPP Bible) but I'm wondering just how in depth I need to be for the subject since those two resources don't have all the OPP information I feel I need. For example, Savarese doesn't have all the special tests that exist, since COMBANK questions sometimes bring special tests up I've never heard of.

Are there any video series or other books that you all have used to study for the OPP COMAT?

Members don't see this ad.

The viscerosomatics/chapman's points youtube videos + Savarese. If you've been paying attention its not all that hard. 90% of the difficulty is the convoluted way in which they ask the question.

The viscerosomatics/chapman's points youtube videos + Savarese. If you've been paying attention its not all that hard. 90% of the difficulty is the convoluted way in which they ask the question.

I disagree.

I just finished mine recently. Although I did very well, >95% percentile, I would be surprised if I got 50% correct overall. I read through Savarese twice, knew Chapmans, viscerosomatics, and some counterstrain well and had never seen a good portion of the topics/questions presented to me. There were tons of treatment/position questions for things I've never heard of. Very esoteric counterstrain points, etc. There were barely any viscerosomatics or chapmans to fall back on like Level 1 had. By far it has been the hardest COMAT of third year.

OP, I just recommend reading through Savarese and doing all the Combank OPP questions. Some people do Comquest as well, but I thought it was just more of the same of Combank. There's really nothing you can do to prepare for this joke of an exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree.

I just finished mine recently. Although I did very well, >95% percentile, I would be surprised if I got 50% correct overall. I read through Savarese twice, knew Chapmans, viscerosomatics, and some counterstrain well and had never seen a good portion of the topics/questions presented to me. There were tons of treatment/position questions for things I've never heard of. Very esoteric counterstrain points, etc. There were barely any viscerosomatics or chapmans to fall back on like Level 1 had. By far it has been the hardest COMAT of third year.

OP, I just recommend reading through Savarese and doing all the Combank OPP questions. Some people do Comquest as well, but I thought it was just more of the same of Combank. There's really nothing you can do to prepare for this joke of an exam.

Yeah, I also got >90%-tile, the only "extra" thing I had to study other than my school's big review and Savarese was the viscerosomatics and chapman's points. I guess it depends on how well your school prepares you, but I found it pretty straightforward when I took it. Maybe it changed in 3 yrs though.

Last edited:
Does every school require an OPP Comat? My program just released our third and fourth year core rotations and nowhere do I see an OPP rotation...

Does every school require an OPP Comat? My program just released our third and fourth year core rotations and nowhere do I see an OPP rotation...

It's probably not an OPP rotation. With my school, we have to email the school's staff members that assist with comat scheduling and tell them when we want to take the OPP comat. It seems like the rule at my school is, is to take it taken before 3rd year is completed.

I'm also following this thread heavily. Numerous classmates have said that they used Savarese, comquest and combank questions and they still felt like they hadn't seen half the information/questions before.

Reactions: 1 users
My school has an OPP rotation that is combined with a Family Medicine rotation - it's with a D.O and I assume I'll see OPP done more heavily on that rotation compared with others. I do not know if this is the same for any other school.

I've also heard that Savarese and COMBANK don't cover everything, and that COMBANK is close but not exactly the level of difficulty of the actual test. Are there any other questions online anywhere that are more on the level of the COMAT questions (I did the sample questions on the NBOME site but felt that they were too easy)? I'm wondering if there are other open resources for students to use...it seems strange that a lot of the material on the test isn't easily available to students, which puts them at a disadvantage.

Did COMBANK, did COMAT, 85th percentile. Not as fancy as these 90th percentilers here...but all you need is a pass on it anyway.

It'll also help if you have the space where test to act out the random ass stretching questions.

Yeah, if I took it during 3rd year, it wouldn't have gone as well. My school had it scheduled during the end of fall semester 2nd year. Seemed like a good time and the 1-2 lectures/labs leading up to it were all like a comprehensive review. It really is meaningless, and as nontrad says above, if you have space to act out the ridiculously worded questions, you should be OK.

Reactions: 1 user