This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcmans1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received an invitation to interview with a program that is located in my city; the problem is they would like me to list preference interview dates and I have yet to hear from 12 programs, 10 of which are out of state (2 have stated I will be informed ~18th).

So my question is: How do I respond? Do I...
a) List preference and describe my situation and ask if it would be acceptable to contact the program should a change in my preference occurs
b) Ask if I could provide my dates later in the month
c) Other

This is a great program that I have had APPEs at, however, it is not in my top 3 at the moment.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Give them your preference of interview dates. I think it looks bad if you ask if you can provide your dates later in the month, so you can hold out for something better. You don't know when the other programs will contact you, and if they'll even offer you an interview and what dates. The places I've had offers at are waiting on people to confirm dates so they can send their itineraries out. Most of the invites I've had have been a first-come, first-serve on the interview dates and have a deadline on when to choose an interview date. So the longer you wait, the less chance you'll get your desired date.

Be grateful that program offered you an interview, since this whole process is so competitive. Every applicant is in the same position, waiting to hear back from other programs. I'm scheduling them as I receive my offers.

Give them your preference of interview dates. I think it looks bad if you ask if you can provide your dates later in the month, so you can hold out for something better. You don't know when the other programs will contact you, and if they'll even offer you an interview and what dates. The places I've had offers at are waiting on people to confirm dates so they can send their itineraries out. Most of the invites I've had have been a first-come, first-serve on the interview dates and have a deadline on when to choose an interview date. So the longer you wait, the less chance you'll get your desired date.

Be grateful that program offered you an interview, since this whole process is so competitive. Every applicant is in the same position, waiting to hear back from other programs. I'm scheduling them as I receive my offers.

I hope that I didn't come off as ungrateful, I'm absolutely grateful; it's just that I don't want to burn any bridges with this program should scheduling conflicts arise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just offer to interview with them ASAP. My program is just starting to give out interview invites, but we are one of the early ones. I know most people are still reviewing applications.

Schedule interviews in the order that you get them. For all you know, you may not even get any more interview invites so don't go burning a bridge by asking them to wait for your more preferred programs to contact you... If more interviews come up and there's conflict then you have to decide which program is more important to you and try and get things rescheduled.

I went ahead and gave my preference and figured I'd address any scheduling conflicts should they come up!

Thank you all for the input!