Jun 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
If this has been answered maybe I'm not bright enough to find the thread, however, I studied hard for the mcat. Got a 502. Got a 508 on the scored AAMC and like 504 on my best Kaplan practice test. It will be about 6 months that I will have gone (or more) before I begin to re-study with the same Kaplan material. Yes, I did just about everything Kaplan had to give. But I doubt I remember it at all. Is re-using the same material a poor choice?

Edit* I have the kaplan course. Im going to re-new it. It comes with so many PBQs, Practice section tests, and discrete questions. These are what i want to re-use. Maybe even practice tests.

OP
GrantAlexander127
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
IMHO the issue was not the material unless for whatever reason it just didn't fit with your study style, in which case, sure pick a different one. The issue is most likely with how you used the material. So if I were you, same material, maybe supplemented with khan academy or ek just used differently to encourage critical thinking this time.
The material was helpful. It totally felt right. I went in thinking I would never need to take the test again. I was totally thinking in the direction your pointing. I was going to buy a TPR verbal because i got a 122 on CARS, to supplement. I need to figure out if its worth it to buy more science practice passages.

laczlacylaci

2+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2016
Cheese State
Status
Pre-Medical
If this has been answered maybe I'm not bright enough to find the thread, however, I studied hard for the mcat. Got a 502. Got a 508 on the scored AAMC and like 504 on my best Kaplan practice test. It will be about 6 months that I will have gone (or more) before I begin to re-study with the same Kaplan material. Yes, I did just about everything Kaplan had to give. But I doubt I remember it at all. Is re-using the same material a poor choice?

Edit* I have the kaplan course. Im going to re-new it. It comes with so many PBQs, Practice section tests, and discrete questions. These are what i want to re-use. Maybe even practice tests.
Sorry to hear that you aren't so happy with your score. I bought a kaplan course too, and the more I am doing their tests, the more they suck. Try out NS diag and FL #1 to see if you want to purchase their exams. Their explanations have been super helpful and I have heard they are pretty representative of the real thing. I heard EK also offers good tests. Kaplan $2k down the drain for me :(, would highly recommend not wasting more $$$ on them.

About the Ads
OP
GrantAlexander127
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry to hear that you aren't so happy with your score. I bought a kaplan course too, and the more I am doing their tests, the more they suck. Try out NS diag and FL #1 to see if you want to purchase their exams. Their explanations have been super helpful and I have heard they are pretty representative of the real thing. I heard EK also offers good tests. Kaplan $2k down the drain for me :(, would highly recommend not wasting more $$$ on them.
yes well for the Practice exams this time I'm going to expand out like your suggesting.. What I liked about kaplan was all the PBQs and the Q banks. you can take them almost as practice tests and they have a lot of content. But I think supplementing this could be helpful.

Edit* i won't waste any more on it! I'm going to get the course again for free I think.. Since i didn't get a score i liked. They seem to be generous about this.

Reactions: laczlacylaci
OP
GrantAlexander127
Jun 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I would advice against using anything non-AAMC for cars but you know yourself better. I found old mcat exams verbal sections just the practice material I needed. I think your score indicates holes in content review or a break in connecting content to passages/questions. I say that because I have been there, I kept getting trapped in trick questions because I didn't know enough contentwise to eliminate answers that made no sense so start with. Like I would pick an answer about how the red blood cells of a sickle cell patient had a faulty nuclei instead of of realizing they didn't have nuclei at all. Things like that. I mean , read all the topics with kaplan books cover to cover, 2 times, three, and then see what practice tests you still need. You will notice a difference.
your on point right now. Next semester thats what I'm doing. Im re-reading those books and making flash cards. Then, the next semester is 100% practice tests and PBQs.. I think doing the CARS practice may help even if its non AAMC. I could be making a poor decision but with a 3.9 science and a 3.8 gpa I just shouldn't be scoring so low. The mcat is rough. I appreciate your help!!!

betterfuture

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2016
Some of Kaplan's material are good. Their PBQ's are insanely detailed and not anything like the AAMC. However, if you are just looking for more practice, I would think redoing them, if you don't remember them, would be good. Sometimes what I do, is I will go over a few topics and do corresponding questions - e.g. Acids/Bases, solution stoichiometry, etc., and then after a few weeks go by, I revisit the topics and redo the questions to see if I can still do them. Most of the time, I won't remember the question or answers.

The Kaplan CARS are not too bad. Again, some of their questions are just too detailed or not AAMC type. I got the chance to repeat the course and I still went ahead and did all the CARS I could since I wanted practice on speed reading and practicing getting the main ideas down. The Q Banks have a ton of passages that you can take as quizzes.

The science passages for Kaplan are not that great. They don't incorporate a lot of graphs/figures/data. They are still good practice if you want timing and content down.

Reactions: GrantAlexander127
About the Ads