Resume requirements for pediatric dental residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gator_guy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

I am considering applying to pedo residency after I finish dental school.

I am attending midwestern dental school currently and wanted some info on class rank/ research/ extracurriculars necessary for acceptance into residency!

Also, Let me know any tips and other advice! thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Pedo is less competitive to get into. Class rank means little from what I’ve seen. Interest is important. There’s so many programs and positions available your chances are good of getting in. Anecdotal but I’ve known of people in the bottom 10% getting into a match program straight out of school. Lastly there is always the nonmatch pay tuition programs that will need to fill seats somehow.

Pedo is less competitive to get into.

False. It has become much, much more competitive, especially over the last decade. Only 62.7% Matched last cycle, while 58.1% of Ortho applicants and 58.4% of OMFS applicants did. (https://natmatch.com/dentres/stats/2018applstats.pdf)

Class rank means little from what I’ve seen.

Largely false. Try landing an interview at good programs without a solid class rank. Some programs, like Colorado, explicitly state applicants must be in the top 20%.

Interest is important.

Very true. You will be asked during interviews, "Why peds?" You better be able to give a solid answer and back it up.

There’s so many programs and positions available your chances are good of getting in.

Like I've already said, more than 1 in 3 won't Match. It is far from guaranteed.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users