resume style amcas

Started by aimster
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aimster

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should AMCAS ECs be written in resume style or more descriptive/emotional what-this-experience-meant-to=me narrative?
 
Should AMCAS ECs be written in resume style or more descriptive/emotional what-this-experience-meant-to=me narrative?

I did in "descriptive/emotional what-this-experience-meant-to=me narrative".
 
This topic has been covered at great length in this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202513

Read it over in detail to get a good idea of the differing views. LizzyM is an adcom member at a top tier school (she doesn't ever reveal which school), so take what she says very seriously. The long and short of it is, it should be in a resume format and not in a "what I learned" style. I've heard this from other current/former adcom members as well.

I'm applying this year, and have written my work/experiences exclusively in resume style (albeit, with complete sentences).
 
I've heard different advice from many different sources, so I tried to ride the line. I mainly just gave a full-sentence resume-style description of what I did, but usually added a sentence at the end about what I learned from the experience or why I valued doing it, or an introductory short sentence to give the experience some context if it was a bit out of left field.

I doubt there's really a right answer to which way to do it. Probably each school/adcomm has a different take on what they expect/prefer. If you're really concerned, I guess you could contact your top choice school and see if you can get an answer from someone there.