resume style amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should AMCAS ECs be written in resume style or more descriptive/emotional what-this-experience-meant-to=me narrative?

Members don't see this ad.

Should AMCAS ECs be written in resume style or more descriptive/emotional what-this-experience-meant-to=me narrative?

I did in "descriptive/emotional what-this-experience-meant-to=me narrative".

This topic has been covered at great length in this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202513

Read it over in detail to get a good idea of the differing views. LizzyM is an adcom member at a top tier school (she doesn't ever reveal which school), so take what she says very seriously. The long and short of it is, it should be in a resume format and not in a "what I learned" style. I've heard this from other current/former adcom members as well.

I'm applying this year, and have written my work/experiences exclusively in resume style (albeit, with complete sentences).

I've heard different advice from many different sources, so I tried to ride the line. I mainly just gave a full-sentence resume-style description of what I did, but usually added a sentence at the end about what I learned from the experience or why I valued doing it, or an introductory short sentence to give the experience some context if it was a bit out of left field.

I doubt there's really a right answer to which way to do it. Probably each school/adcomm has a different take on what they expect/prefer. If you're really concerned, I guess you could contact your top choice school and see if you can get an answer from someone there.