Retake Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n124567

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just took the MCAT and got a 506 (126/123/127/130). I’m pretty upset since I was getting around a 126-128 on CARS throughout, and never scored this low. I’m only applying to DO schools. Also I’m not sure if this could help my case, but English is rarely spoken in my house and I’m bilingual. Is CARS worth the retake?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your GPA and other stats? If you are only applying DO, 506 is fine, especially with your section scores.

My gpa is 3.35, and my science gpa is 3.1. This is after doing a one year masters program and getting a 4.0 in it. Since my gpa is on the low side, I was hoping that a higher MCAT would balance it out :/. Not sure if I should retake it still.

Members don't see this ad :)
My gpa is 3.35, and my science gpa is 3.1. This is after doing a one year masters program and getting a 4.0 in it. Since my gpa is on the low side, I was hoping that a higher MCAT would balance it out :/. Not sure if I should retake it still.
Keep in mind that masters GPA does NOT count towards undergraduate GPA. See Postbacc undergrad GPA and Grad GPA AMCAS for more details.

Did you do an SMP (ie masters programs designed specifically to get people into med school) or a more traditional graduate degree? I would advise retaking if and only if you know you can also potentially bring up the CP/BB scores at all, otherwise CARS can end up in the same way, and with no improvement on other sections you may end up with a similar score.

Keep in mind that masters GPA does NOT count towards undergraduate GPA. See Postbacc undergrad GPA and Grad GPA AMCAS for more details.

Did you do an SMP (ie masters programs designed specifically to get people into med school) or a more traditional graduate degree? I would advise retaking if and only if you know you can also potentially bring up the CP/BB scores at all, otherwise CARS can end up in the same way, and with no improvement on other sections you may end up with a similar score.

I thought a masters degree does get calculated into your GPA for DO schools? I’m not applying MD. I did a traditional masters in biomedical sciences.

I thought a masters degree does get calculated into your GPA for DO schools? I’m not applying MD. I did a traditional masters in biomedical sciences.
Ah, I was mistaken. Completely forgot that AACOMAS does this differently. Looks like AACOMAS splits the two up per their website.
  1. Combined with any post-baccalaureate coursework to create a cumulative undergraduate GPA, and
  2. Combined with any post-baccalaureate coursework plus any graduate coursework to create an overall GPA.

I think applying broadly across DOs has potential to get you an acceptance. Regardless, I'd not retake unless you were sure you could also boost your CP/BB scores, as CARS can very well be just as tricky on your retake, and score variation could end up with a lower score.

Ah, I was mistaken. Completely forgot that AACOMAS does this differently. Looks like AACOMAS splits the two up per their website.
  1. Combined with any post-baccalaureate coursework to create a cumulative undergraduate GPA, and
  2. Combined with any post-baccalaureate coursework plus any graduate coursework to create an overall GPA.

I think applying broadly across DOs has potential to get you an acceptance. Regardless, I'd not retake unless you were sure you could also boost your CP/BB scores, as CARS can very well be just as tricky on your retake, and score variation could end up with a lower score.
It’s all good! Yeah I completely agree. Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it.