Retake Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlucoseAddict

Reaction score
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
9/10/2021: 511 (127/126/128/130).

1/21/2022: 514 (129/126/130/129).

1. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
GPA: 3.87, Sci. GPA: 3.78

1. State/Country of residence (optional):
FL

1. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
White as they come

1. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
Mayo Clinic

1. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
Research (Mayo Clinic)

1. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
For 9/10 test, used: K academy, Kaplan books, all AAMC materials (FL1: 512 (128/130/128/126) FL2: 509 (127/129/127/126) FL3: 516 (131/126/130/129) FL4: 518 (130/130/129/129), Miles down Anki, and private tutoring as needed for personally difficult subjects.

For 1/21 test, used: K academy, Kaplan books, all AAMC materials (FL1: 522 (130/128/132/132) Fl2: 521 (130/130/130/131) FL3: 522 (132/128/131/131) FL4: 523 (131/129/132/131) (sure they were retakes. I remembered ~1 passage per test, but I even missed questions I got right the first time), Miles down Anki, added BluPrint tests 1-5, which all hovered around 510, peaking around 514, and also added uwurld.

1. Do you know/think you can do better?

Yes. CARS was all that was missing, and I’m just wondering if I should bother retaking, especially keeping in mind the potential of drops in other sections (which I’m already happy with).

As of now I have 4/30 on the calendar for my round three test date. Mayo won’t even look at me with that CARS score, but I’ve worked here for over a year now and have admissions contacts, LORs, and (soon to be) 2 publications from Mayo. It’s bad enough being a retaker but now with potential risk of a score drop on a third one I’d like to weigh the risk heavily, or know if it’s better to bite the bullet and accept a low CARS score and subsequently related med school.

I have now taken AAMC material twice and its probably totally useless now since its so familiar. Not sure what material is best to use now.

Any help appreciated. I have taken this test twice and can give any insights if desired, but use a grain of salt given my scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't recommend another retake. CARS section is the hardest to improve. You already have two tries with 126 using up the AAMC material. You have a greater probability of getting a lower overall score than improving on that 126. Unless a third retake results in 520s range, your judgement will be questioned if you get a lower score, and will also be questioned if you get the same score or only improve by a couple of points.

You have to ask yourself what your ultimate goal is, becoming a doctor (with only your metrics and if your ECs are good to go) at a T25 perhaps or if it's Mayo or nothing.

Can't recommend another retake. CARS section is the hardest to improve. You already have two tries with 126 using up the AAMC material. You have a greater probability of getting a lower overall score than improving on that 126. Unless a third retake results in 520s range, your judgement will be questioned if you get a lower score, and will also be questioned if you get the same score or only improve by a couple of points.

You have to ask yourself what your ultimate goal is, becoming a doctor (with only your metrics and if your ECs are good to go) at a T25 perhaps or if it's Mayo or nothing.
Thank you for your reply. Any T25 seems hopeful at 126 yes? Such an unequal score distribution wouldn’t look good? My original plan was round out ECs after my January test. I was really only missing volunteering, I’ll have about 100hrs by may which I get at a free clinic now. I have research, volunteering/clinical experience at a free clinic, etc.

The CARS section is given the most leeway as long as it not under 125. Without knowing more about your ECs, I only basing my T25 possibility due to your GPAs and MCAT. You likely need more than 100 hrs (200 hrs at a minimum) of clinical experience.

I suggest that you create a post on the WAMC forum. FOLLOW THE FORMAT/TEMPLATE and there Adcoms and experts will give you advice on whether you need to do more ECs as well as the schools you are currently competitive for.

Reactions: 1 users