Retake Calc I, or take Calc II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Blaze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a freshman and received credit for Calc I through AP, but I know most medical schools don't want pre-reqs to be completed with AP. Would it be best to retake Calc I, or to just take Calc II (Or both?)?

Also-I read that some schools even recommend a computer science class.. would it actually help out to take this?

Members don't see this ad.

I would just take Calc I again for the easy A, then 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't take calc 2 unless you HAVE to. worst class ever.

Wouldnt it be good to take Calc II so I can have a broader range of schools to apply to?

i dont think there are more than 5 schools that want calc II, and that might be an overestimate.

Calc 1 is probably the only AP pre-req that most medical school haven't a problem with. Take calc 1 if you want and follow up with statistics or biostats. Or just take statistics.

don't take calc 2 unless you HAVE to. worst class ever.

Nothing personal, but I would not want someone who cannot handle calc 2 to be my doctor. I hope you agree that human body is much more complicated than calc 2.

Nothing personal, but I would not want someone who cannot handle calc 2 to be my doctor. I hope you agree that human body is much more complicated than calc 2.
:laugh: You are rilly dum, fo rill.

Wouldnt it be good to take Calc II so I can have a broader range of schools to apply to?

Unless you are terrible at math, I agree. You don't want to exclude yourself from schools before you even start. However, if you're going to get a C in the class, then don't take it.

Like the others said, take Calc I again for the easy A (it will up your math and science GPA for AMCAS) and then take II.

did i say i couldn't handle it?

please note chops' post.

there is no need to do either if you are not going to apply to one of the three medical schools that require calc II. the AP credit is accepted everywhere for calc I. when i applied, i had AP credit from the AB exam that i had taken 13 years prior, and it was ok.

stats is a very good idea. comp sci only if you have a sincere interest.

no one will ever make you do an integral in med school. ever.