retake chemistry class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danomite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I really need to your opinion on what I should do..
Here's the basic info that you will need to know first...my school has Chem127 & 128 (which is pretty much I and II). But they also allow us to take Chem124,125,126 instead to fulfill the general chemistry requirement.

I pretty much f'd up my first year. I got a B in 124, a B+ in 126...and a D+ in 125. I'm a sophomore right now and I'm looking to take a year to take more science courses and retake some courses I did bad in to make my application more pretty.

Registration for classes began today and so far I'm taking Physics, Biochemistry, Econ, Organic Chem, and a film class.
My Physics is from 8-8:50 and BioChem is from 10-10:50. Here's the problem...Chem125Q is only from 10-10:50 and is only offered for the spring semester. So I could possibly change BioChem to 9-9:50 and stick in Chem125Q.

I know that it would make for 3 back to back classes and 3 labs in one semester but it seems like this is the only time to retake that chem125Q b/c what happens if next spring...it conflicts with a diff course?
And I have high hopes that I will do better in that class since I know the professor and I've gone through the material already.

Well anyways, there's my problem..hopefully you guys can shine some light on me.. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Taking three labs would be really hard, especially since physics, biochem, and o.chem are pretty intense classes. If you struggled getting everything done before, taking all those classes are only going to make it harder. Can you drop one of those other classes and take the chem instead?

I'm guessing repeating Chem shouldn't be a problem so we'll consider it a lighter science class.

With that in mind - just think about physics, orgo, biochem --- which two might be the easiest for you - for me it was physics & orgo - biochem was much harder.

So if it was me - i would take chem / physics / orgo / econ.

You must remember that you have to raise your gpa or maintain it at least so don't overload on classes. I hope that helps you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a kind of similar situation as this person. I didn't want to make a new thread, but I got a C- this last semester in gen chem I. It's the lowest grade I've gotten in college, and I am definitley going to retake it. But should I first do gen chem II, and organic, and then retake gen chem I over at a later period. Or should I just do it now, this upcoming spring semester and then move on to all the other required chem classes I'm going to be taking? thanks

How are you able to take biochem without completing a year of organic ? In my school it's a pre-req before they even let you anywhere close biochem. If you haven't finished ochem I would advice you against taking biochem - as a tutor I know few people who tried to do the same thing as you and failed. I am not saying in any way shape or form that you'll fail, I just think a good foundation of organic chemistry is a must prior to taking biochem. Also organic chem is generally a class where most people develop their "intense" studying skills so going into biochem without finishing up organic is generally not recommended.Also your course load seems quite rigorous, are you sure you can handle it all especially considering chemistry is not your strongest point ?

How are you able to take biochem without completing a year of organic ? In my school it's a pre-req before they even let you anywhere close biochem. If you haven't finished ochem I would advice you against taking biochem - as a tutor I know few people who tried to do the same thing as you and failed. I am not saying in any way shape or form that you'll fail, I just think a good foundation of organic chemistry is a must prior to taking biochem. Also organic chem is generally a class where most people develop their "intense" studying skills so going into biochem without finishing up organic is generally not recommended.Also your course load seems quite rigorous, are you sure you can handle it all especially considering chemistry is not your strongest point ?

I 100% agree here. You really need to know your organic chem to succeed in biochem. I would also check the prereqs for your school for biochem because two semesters of organic is the norm. You also did poorly in gen chem , so it would be unwise to proceed with more chemistry classes. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I would retake gen chem and get at least a B. Also, most schools require a C or better in gen chem to proceed to organic. I would make sure about that too.

If you bombed one semester of general chemistry and haven't even taken organic chemistry, then you probably should retake that general chemistry class first. I only have anecdotal evidence, but people who don't have a foundation of organic chemistry tend to struggle a little in biochem. Also, it would lessen your courseload difficulty as you have a full load. 3 labs is brutal and even more so if you are working.

It's better to take classes when you are the most prepared as opposed to taking it simply because it fits with your schedule. I've learned that the hard way when I took courses without enough background leading me to subpar grades or good grades but getting nothing out of the course because I didn't have the context.