Retake classes and nonptcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I need some advice to improve my gpa and prepare to apply to pt school for the second time. I recently retook anatomy 1 for the third time and I got a B. I feel like this course will affect my chance due to retakes. I’m currently retaking classes I had C’s in and the GRE too.

Should I take another science course to improve my science gpa?
Also, should I look into nonptcas programs since they look at the applicants as a whole instead by the gpa?

I need help to understand if I’m on the right track or not? Please message or comment below?

Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the time and means to retake classes definitely do so! Especially Anatomy, and your other science classes. But, some schools look beyond GPA, PTCAS participating or not. So make sure you have extracurricular stuff, like volunteering or something. Stuff to show off leadership too perhaps can help. I got those questions a couple times in school interviews.

You just have to do research on the schools. Look at their average GPA acceptances, and their requirements, along with whether or not they require observation hours. Also, schools that do interviews will probably be your best bet if your GPA and GRE aren't super strong.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi OP, I am sort of in a similar situation with retaking classes. I have been told by programs that any course lower than a B should usually be re-taken. I just don't know how many retakes is worth it after a certain point, so I understand where you are coming from.

I'd also like to ask people out there, since this thread has been created. I had to retake Chem II and Physics II (got a C first time around in both). I ended up with an A in Physics II on the retake, but ended up with a C again on the Chem II retake. With the C, I have a 3.6 pre-req GPA (on a 4.0 scale). I just finished Anatomy and got an A+ (my University is on a 4.5 scale, but any A+ will convert to an A on a 4.0 scale). Should I take Chem II for a third time, or just leave it as is and apply with what I have? I ask this because I have done well in all of my other pre-req classes, and I have taken some other courses here and there and got A's/A+'s this past year. Maybe they will realize this and not be so concerned with the one C I would have for my pre-req GPA? If I were to retake Chem II and get a B, my pre-req GPA would rise to 3.7, and if I were to get an A, it would rise to 3.8. Is it worth it to attempt it again, knowing that I could do better, but also could end up with a C once again? I would have to retake it this summer, but I was hoping to use my time this summer to study for the GRE. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
The only advice that I would give you is that if the school is really nitpicky about whether you have a 3.7 vs 3.8 then it shows what kind of program they are and students that they want to take. Otherwise it shouldn't matter. If you have one C versus all the rest are being A's and B's I think you should be fine. The other question is if you want to take more time and money to do that retake but that reflection is up to you. If you honestly think that you will need to increase your chemistry grade then do it. If you don't feel like it's worth it and feel okay with where you stand then I wouldn't bother.

Any idea if re-applying to PT school the 2nd time around will negatively impact you?
I'm deciding if I should try this year with 1 year to go with undergrad, but might be not the strongest application and then seeing how that goes and re-applying the following year if I don't get in anywhere...

Any idea if re-applying to PT school the 2nd time around will negatively impact you?
I'm deciding if I should try this year with 1 year to go with undergrad, but might be not the strongest application and then seeing how that goes and re-applying the following year if I don't get in anywhere...
It depends on the school I think. I reapplied to a school, and I actually met up with one of the admissions people at the school, and they said they treat every application like a new application. I am not sure if every school does though. That being said, I would not apply unless you felt confident in your stats and stuff that you could get in somewhere, because it is a lot of time and money. Unless, you're only planning on applying to a couple schools lol.

It depends on the school I think. I reapplied to a school, and I actually met up with one of the admissions people at the school, and they said they treat every application like a new application. I am not sure if every school does though. That being said, I would not apply unless you felt confident in your stats and stuff that you could get in somewhere, because it is a lot of time and money. Unless, you're only planning on applying to a couple schools lol.
THANKS!!