Retake DAT in September or wait till next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake DAT in September? Or Submit with what i have?

• Retake in Sep.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Just submit, and worst case retake next year?

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m applying to 18 schools and just submitted my application. I know i have sub average stats but i applied broadly and realistically.

18AA, 3.3GPA with a 3.75 the last two years, over 3000 volunteering hours, 300+ shadowing, strong LORS, great PS, and string ECs/leadership.

Should i retake in September the DAT or just wait till next cycle but still apply this cycle? I know I’m applying this cycle no matter what.. but is it worth retaking? Will it save me in post December interviews maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're OK with spending a lot of money on application fees with the possibility of not getting any acceptances, then why not.

If you're OK with spending a lot of money on application fees with the possibility of not getting any acceptances, then why not.
Lol so you’re saying just retake? Isn’t September like superrr late though ??

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you study for the first attempt?

I would probably retake around January or February, if this cycle doesn't work out.

I vote that you retake in September so that you have a better chance this cycle. Put everything to the side if you can and attack the DAT like a cat that just discovered catnip.

I really think it could make a difference on acceptance or rejection this cycle. If you put your all into it and score a 20+ it may net you some post December interviews.

How did you study the first time? Do you know where you went wrong? What did you score in each section?

Best of luck!