This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDreams1313

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I am currently back and forth right now about retaking the DAT. Here are my scores:

21 AA, 18 TS, 16 OC (ugh), 21 GC, 19 BIO, 20 PA, 28 RC, 22 QR

My dilemma is this: I am aware that a majority of schools take the most recent DAT score. Though I am not in any way upset with the 21 AA, I am worried that the 18 TS and (more specifically) the 16 OC will hurt my chances of getting accepted. However, I do not know if it is worth spending the time and money to retake when I may actually be overestimating the weight of my OC score in my overall application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would look into specific schools you are interested in to see if they have certain cut offs for sections. Some do, and some don't. All your other sections look good!

Reactions: 1 user
What's your oGPA and sGPA?
I would personally retake to get a 20+ TS score and get rid of that 16 in an important section. For most schools, you want a high total science and definitely do not want below an 18 in any of the science sections

Reactions: 1 user
What's your oGPA and sGPA?
I would personally retake to get a 20+ TS score and get rid of that 16 in an important section. For most schools, you want a high total science and definitely do not want below an 18 in any of the science sections

Thank you so much for your replies!
My oGPA is 3.68 and my sGPA is 3.54.
If it’s helpful, I also have 200+ hours of volunteering, 100 (and counting) shadowing hours, and significant involvement in extracurriculars and Honors College.

I agree, I would feel much more comfortable with my application if I got above an 18 in all sections. My biggest concern is that my scores will go down in the other sections, and that my AA might be lower despite me improvement in my science section.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your replies!
My oGPA is 3.68 and my sGPA is 3.54.
If it’s helpful, I also have 200+ hours of volunteering, 100 (and counting) shadowing hours, and significant involvement in extracurriculars and Honors College.

I agree, I would feel much more comfortable with my application if I got above an 18 in all sections. My biggest concern is that my scores will go down in the other sections, and that my AA might be lower despite me improvement in my science section.

You have a solid GPA, I'd hate for you to not get accepted your first application cycle because of that low TS score and low OC section score. What schools are you looking to apply to?

I know retaking the DAT is going to be a pain, but it also saves you the stress, time and money of having to reapply. If I were in your shoes, I would take the DAT again, get a 20+ in the sciences by studying my butt off, and sleep way easier during the application cycle knowing I have a much more well rounded application.

You have a solid GPA, I'd hate for you to not get accepted your first application cycle because of that low TS score and low OC section score. What schools are you looking to apply to?

I know retaking the DAT is going to be a pain, but it also saves you the stress, time and money of having to reapply. If I were in your shoes, I would take the DAT again, get a 20+ in the sciences by studying my butt off, and sleep way easier during the application cycle knowing I have a much more well rounded application.

I’m a FL resident so I’ll definitely be applying to UF, NOVA, and LECOM. Other schools on my list (so far) are Tufts, VCU, MWU AZ, MWU IL, and Louisville.

I’m a gap year student, so studying while working full time and shadowing will definitely be a struggle LOL, but I agree with you. Better to put in work now than have to reapply next cycle because of my scores

I’m a FL resident so I’ll definitely be applying to UF, NOVA, and LECOM. Other schools on my list (so far) are Tufts, VCU, MWU AZ, MWU IL, and Louisville.

I’m a gap year student, so studying while working full time and shadowing will definitely be a struggle LOL, but I agree with you. Better to put in work now than have to reapply next cycle because of my scores

Yeah then definitely try and talk to schools to see if your DAT scores would be competitive. Florida schools all prioritize different parts of your app. I know that Nova reallyyyy likes a TS above 20 and Tufts really values a good RC (so you may be good there).
I would hate to risk it tho. So I agree with @Cthuluhoop on doing a retake.

Reactions: 1 users

It's definitely going to be tough, but I think the pros out way the cons in this situation and you can definitely do it!

I'm also a Florida, resident, I interviewed at all 3 schools and got into 2/3 schools. Like @Lab_lover said, NOVA is pretty stat grabby, they really want their high GPAs and DATs, although I wouldn't recommend going to that program, but that's another thread. LECOM seems a bit more widespread and holistic in the application process, but as a young program they also want higher DATs.
For, UF, I can almost guarantee they'd say to retake the DAT. It's very hard to get an acceptance there, especially if you're not a UF student/graduate. So you really need a high GPA, a high DAT and stellar ECs to stand a chance

21 AA is inflated by the 28 RC imo. I would suggest retake. Sciences are very important.

Personally, if I was a Florida resident, I would retake if I wanna go to UF or Nova. LECOM you could slide in with a good overall application.

If I wanted to go to like MWU or Tufts I wouldn’t retake