Retake GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question in a nutshell: Should I retake the GRE if I have only one bad score (148) and everything else on my application is very strong?

I'm applying early decision. One of my mentors is actually a professor of the DPT program I am applying to, and has been guiding me through applying. She said that because I am already a strong applicant (3.94 GPA, lots of research and clinical experience, great letters of rec, etc) that I probably only needed to score maybe a 40th-50th percentile on the GRE to be competitive. On all the practice GREs I was scoring 50-60th percentile no problem.

Well, GRE was today and I woke up sick. Did fine on verbal, but completely screwed up quant (148) which is around 35th percentile believe? I also feel pretty confident on my essays.

I really don't know what to do. I don't know if they will look past probably the only lower-than-average thing on my application or not.

Any input? Is one lower-than-average score going to ruin my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If the rest of your application is strong, specifically your GPA which definitely is then I wouldn't stress too much about it. I would only say retake if the schools that you're applying to have a minimum requirement that is higher than that of your 148 Q.

Regardless of everything else, if they have a minimum requirement and you haven't met that then the rest of your application will be overlooked. If the schools you're applying to doesn't have any requirements, or you have met those requirements then I would say you're good to go. Plus ED deadline is coming up pretty quick here :) Good luck.

The minimum requirement is 25th percentile so I'm at least above that haha. I also talked to two friends I know that are in the program and they got in with scores lower than mine! So hopefully I will be alright. Just need to finish up my essay then I'm good to go for ED.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The minimum requirement is 25th percentile so I'm at least above that haha. I also talked to two friends I know that are in the program and they got in with scores lower than mine! So hopefully I will be alright. Just need to finish up my essay then I'm good to go for ED.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Right on! Good luck. I submitted my application for ED about 1.5 weeks ago. Now for the near 2 month wait... lol.