Retake GRE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake GRE

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

On-the-way-to-DPT

Reaction score
I took the at-home GRE and got 150V 149Q and 4aw
Should I try to retake it for a higher score? That was after about a month of studying and if I were to retake it I would have to find time to study with two summer classes :(

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it all depends on how competitive your GPA and pre-req GPA really is. And which schools you are planning to apply too. If you don't have the time I would not sweat it as of this moment and focus on your summer classes. And if you get time before the cycle closes for some of the schools you can retake it then. Hope it helps.

^agree with dptdiaries but you seem to be barely meeting the minimum requirements for most programs. They typically want 150V and 150Q minimum, but the averages are usually higher than that. I was in the same position when i applied last cycle. Took the GRE in May, got a 148 Q and 152 V 4.5AW. I was taking two summer courses that summer (in person), one of which was a pre-req for one of the schools I was applying to, but I did manage to get some more studying in and ended up getting a 153V 155 Q the second time. I think it depends on what courses youre taking and what the rest of your application looks like.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation. I got a 149V 151Q 4.0AW and it was my second time taking it. However, my GPA is around a 3.8 so idk if that would help balance out. Thoughts?

I'm in a similar situation. I got a 149V 151Q 4.0AW and it was my second time taking it. However, my GPA is around a 3.8 so idk if that would help balance out. Thoughts?
Here's the thing- one section of your application will never balance out the other section ever if you don't meet the minimum requirements set by each school !! If a school states their minimum requirement for GRE is 150/150 4.0 and you don't meet that your application will flat out be rejected by some school computers. So again it all depends on the school requirements!! However, if you do meet the minimum requirements and you pass the initial acceptances then it is another ball game. Then the schools will look at your scores and GPA and then one might balance out the other.

PT school is a whole new animal as far as time and brain power demand. Two summer classes and studying for the GRE needs to be doable for you, unless you are working full time. Even if you are working full time you are going to have to make tough decisions. Feel free to message me or hit me up on here for info!

Depends on schools. Some want each (verbal and math) to be at least 150. Some schools have general requirement of 300 score verbal plus math. If you are applying to any of those schools, you have to retake it or your application will be toss out since you are not meeting the lowest requirements. If your schools say they "prefer" scores above 150, you should retake it since very many people get scores above 150 and you will be tossed out. If your schools' minimal requirements are at/below 299, you can give it a try if your other stats are competitive.
good luck!

Depends on schools. Some want each (verbal and math) to be at least 150. Some schools have general requirement of 300 score verbal plus math. If you are applying to any of those schools, you have to retake it or your application will be toss out since you are not meeting the lowest requirements. If your schools say they "prefer" scores above 150, you should retake it since very many people get scores above 150 and you will be tossed out. If your schools' minimal requirements are at/below 299, you can give it a try if your other stats are competitive.
good luck!
Thanks for the feedback, most of the schools I will be applying to have a minimum of 146 for each. Some only look at writing with a minimum of 4.0 which I hit. I was considering a few schools that have a min. of 150 but if I don't get my score up then I won't apply there. I think I am leaning toward taking it again, I was just really excited with the idea of not... but in the end I know it will probably be for the best!

Whats your GPA? I wouldn't sweat your GRE score too much if you have a high GPA. Most schools average around a 300, your writing score is fine. If you have a lower GPA I would say it may benefit you but most schools weight GPA much more heavily over the GRE.

Whats your GPA? I wouldn't sweat your GRE score too much if you have a high GPA. Most schools average around a 300, your writing score is fine. If you have a lower GPA I would say it may benefit you but most schools weight GPA much more heavily over the GRE.
I am still taking prereqs but it will most likely be somewhere from 3.5-3.6 depending on the school.

I took the at-home GRE and got 150V 149Q and 4aw
Should I try to retake it for a higher score? That was after about a month of studying and if I were to retake it I would have to find time to study with two summer classes :(
Bro I'm i the same position! Definitely retake it, an hour a day of studying and I know you'll crush it next time.

Thanks for the feedback, most of the schools I will be applying to have a minimum of 146 for each. Some only look at writing with a minimum of 4.0 which I hit. I was considering a few schools that have a min. of 150 but if I don't get my score up then I won't apply there. I think I am leaning toward taking it again, I was just really excited with the idea of not... but in the end I know it will probably be for the best!
Well your scores are not bad then if their min requirements 146... I would say do take practice tests before retaking GRE. If your scores increase by at least 3 points, it may be worth retaking GRE. If you cannot increase the scores by more than 3, then it may not be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.