Retake Human Physiology for Non-Bio Majors as Informal Post-Bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustNeedAdvice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I graduated from UCI and took Human Physiology over there (4 units) and got a C. I am now going to CSUF as an Informal Post-Bac retaking Human Physiology (most other courses were difficult for me to enroll in as an open university student). The problem here is that Human Physiology at CSUF is for non-biology majors and is 3 units (no lab).

The course catalog states this: Human physiological systems and their relationship to human function for non-biology majors and students in Kinesiology and Health Sciences. No credit for biological science major.

Is this a viable option to retake in hopes of showing schools that I have mastered Human Physiology? Or, will the "non-biology" aspect really be a negative?

This school also offers Mammalian Physiology: Fundamental mechanisms of mammalian and human physiology. Integration of cellular and organ system functions with emphasis on regulatory processes. For biology majors and related health sciences. (3 hours lecture, 3 hours laboratory)

Members don't see this ad.

Wait. You want to impress adcoms with your "mastery" by taking a watered down course that is not fit for bio majors?

Last edited:
Wait. You want to impress adcoms with your "mastery" by taking a watered down course that is not fit for bio majors?

I mean not necessarily impress them, but show them that I was willing to retake the C in hopes of getting an A. Or, do you prefer I look into Mammalian Physiology instead?

Will dental schools check that this is a watered down class for non-bio majors despite having the same name "Human Physiology"?

I was also told from PDS at this school (CSUF) that Mammalian Physiology is similar to the Human Physiology at UCI. The problem is it is 4 units (that is including lab component). I took Human Physiology at UCI and got a B, so I am kind of thinking it is better I focus on the lecture portion of Physiology.