Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 32 back in July, but I was getting 33-36 on my practice tests. I haven't looked at the material at all since then. Right now I have two med school interviews, and two schools have put me on hold, and I'm still waiting to hear back from like 14 others. There's a Nov 7 test date that's right in the town I go to school in. Should I take it? I feel like I might do better, since I'd be less nervous than the first time, but I'm not too sure what the right decision is.

Members don't see this ad.

The last MCAT score most schools accept is from September. A 32 is a great score, and within +/-2 of your average. Since you have been fortunate enough to be granted interviews, 90% of the time it means that your numbers are fine. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I probably would advise against retaking. Chances are, you'll score lower. That's the nature of this beast.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't looked at the material since July, it would be a bad idea to rush to retake a good score with such little preparation. You wouldn't want to score less than 32, after all.

I guess this is pretty unanimous, haha. Alright, that's what I was thinking.

No mainly because you haven't looked at the material for a long time. There's also the benefit of practicing months ahead to get ready for the MCAT. To put you in the zone. Most schools also will not consider Nov. Mcats.

32 is a great score! I would not take the MCAT again and risk getting a lower score. If you feel like there is something else lacking in your application, I would spend time to work on that instead. For example, gaining more volunteer/shadowing hours or research experience.

So help me, if you re-take that perfectly fine score, I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

I got a 32 back in July, but I was getting 33-36 on my practice tests. I haven't looked at the material at all since then. Right now I have two med school interviews, and two schools have put me on hold, and I'm still waiting to hear back from like 14 others. There's a Nov 7 test date that's right in the town I go to school in. Should I take it? I feel like I might do better, since I'd be less nervous than the first time, but I'm not too sure what the right decision is.

Adding to the unanimous vote -- don't retake! In a moment of insanity, I once considered retaking my 33, but decided against it and am very glad about that. Retaking takes so much time, money, and stress that you could spend on other endeavours.