1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Retake situation :(

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by md2b111, Aug 19, 2011.

1. md2b111

md2b111 Above and Beyond!!!!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello guyz! i needed some advice and i am in dire need of it. i graduated with a ucgpa of 2.6 ish and science gpa that was even lower abt 3 yrs ago, but once i found out about the grade replacement policy i started to retake all my science classes:
    bio 100 C-A
    gen chem 1 C-C
    gen chem 2- C-B+
    Physics 1 F-C+
    bio 1 C-C
    still got orgo 1, orgo2, physics 2, and bio 2 left. after retaking and if i ace these remaining classes i would have a cgpa of 3.2ish and a scgpa of 3.2ish as well ACCORDING TO THE Retake policy. i want to apply next cycle. still neeed to take the mcat. I REALLY dont want to give up and was wondering how to make the best of my app so i can atleast stand a chance. i wanna apply DO all the way. i would really appreciate your advice. i have good ec's and shadowing experience as well. thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FutureDrB

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Unfortunately, all those C's don't look too great. You aren't sunk, but the bigger concern is how you can do on the MCAT if you are only getting C's in your science classes. Have you taken any practice exams?

Not trying to get you down, just make sure you are prepared! With your grades, you're going to have to really rock the MCAT.

4. md2b111

5+ Year Member

Thanks FutureDrB! i know. i am really scared and down about it. but i know i have the potential. i was working full-time and going to school almost Full-time so it was kinda hard to juggle both at the same time for me. i finally decided to resign from my job and now i am fully concentrating on acing the remaining classes and rocking the mcats. and no i havent taken any practice exams yet.:(

5. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

If I were you, I would start planning toward another career. If you can't get at least an "A-" on retakes, you can't handle heavy science. If this had been a 1 class situation, I'd say just keep trying, but you keep failing when you try, and yes, a "B+" is pretty much failing for a retake. If you majored in bio or something similar, I would definitely say you have no chance whatsoever and should look for another career. I don't think even podiatry will take a chance with you.

6. md2b111

5+ Year Member

Thanks TriagePreMed. i understand. but i think im gonna keep on trying as try to ace my remaining classes and do well on the mcat.

7. scummie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think this is a little harsh.

I retook classes did not get straight A's. A's and B's, yes. I worked full time throughout undergrad to support myself. Not all of us have the luxury of having our family pay for our education and living expenses. I think you're making the right choice by focusing on school only. If I could go back and win the lottery, I would have only gone to school.

If you can pull off your grade replacement and get up to a 3.2/3.3 you should be set to get at least 1 acceptance, assuming your MCAT is decently high--at least a 26 or 27. My GPA was less than that and I got multiple acceptances.

Check out the underdog thread. You'll find lots of people in similar situations.

Anyways, there is hope. You can still be a doctor. Get your act together. Do well on your MCAT and the rest of your classes.

8. md2b111

5+ Year Member

Thanks Scummie! This is what i live for! each-day i think about it! i wish i could have won a lottery as well. some of us have family and ourselves to support. so yes it can be hard but not impossible. i am not going to give up. i feel like there is hope and i know i can do it. thanks a lot. i know i kinda dug myself in a hole. but i am willing to work hard with 4 classes remaining i think i can do it.

9. DrWily

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I do admire your devotion to becoming a physician, but I express some concern like Triage did. Doing retakes is a means to show the Admissions Committee's that you can understand the sciences. Getting average grades in what is considered "core" classes doesn't really help much. Granted you did do better than you did before. Do you have any upper division science courses that you showed you can handle tough material? It's not just about GPA/MCAT numbers. Numbers will get you looked at, but I really believe you need to demonstrate your ability to handle tough classes.

Keep on truckin' and maybe throw in an upper division science course or two to show the AdComms that you are physician material!

10. flodhi1

Removed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There is still some hope for you. However you must understand that you MUST get A's in both Organics, Physics 2 and Bio 2. You must take a bunch of upper division Biology classes and get A's in all of them. Possibly go for a post-bacc and try to get a GPA > 3.6 in that. The major concern is your MCAT I can tell you that I got As in pretty much every class you listed (every pre-req) and tons of upper division Biology classes. Even after all that work and studying 10-12 hours per day for the MCAT I didn't do too well ( I got a 29 N). The MCAT will be a major issue and will test you. Like one of the guys posted in the last posts, you should take a practice mcat exam like a free princeton/Kaplan diagnosis and see where you stand. There is much work but it is not impossible keep your head up :thumbup:

11. md2b111

5+ Year Member

Thanks DrWily! yes i completely understand. i know i wish i didnt work full time when i started my retakes! but thats done now. i dont have any upper science classes. i was thinking that i will try to ace my remaining classes and then take the mcat, apply hopefuly in july next cycle and while i await.. take more higher level science classes over the summer and fall. what classes woud you suggest?

12. md2b111

5+ Year Member

Thanks flodhi1! yes i know this is absolutely do or die for me! i really want to become a physician! i quit a lot of things in life for this and i know one day i will get there god-willing and with a lot of hardwork! i really appreciate all of your input.

13. DrWily

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guess some people suggest like.. Genetics, Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, etc etc.

There's another thread around here somewhere asking about upper divs.

14. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I concur with this poster. The C's are NOT convincing to this AdCom member that you can handle the load of medical school. I'd like to know the context of when you did your retakes: were they done separately, or along with a full semester load?

Contrary to popular (uniformed opinion) haviong a low GPA does NOT get balanced out by a high MCAT. it simply says one is a good test taker.

A post-bac program might be in order if you do not do well with the rest of your retakes.

15. md2b111

5+ Year Member

Thnaks a lot Goro! i know the C's are not convincing. i took physics 1 and chm2 this summer together and it was pretty tough for me. but still does not explain c+ in physics1. i will try my best to ace the remaining retakes and try to apply for a postbacc program after my mcats.

16. md2b111

5+ Year Member

i was really trying to see if i can still save myself from this hole! and i am grateful to all of you who took your time to reply. its the worst feeling ever when you know you want something really bad and you know it might be a little out of reach because of stupid mistakes that are repeated. i know that a postbacc sounds like a good plan.. my question to Goro is that.. can a person apply for example, after taking and hopefully acing my remaining pre-reqs and doing well on the mcat, can i go ahead and apply early and then register for upper level science classes while i await interview or any love back from schools and update my transcripts as i get the grades??

17. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

I don't believe I'm being harsh. I think the OP is admirable for having tenacity to continue despite adversity, but that doesn't change the fact that he obtain 3 C's on takes, 1 B, and only 1 A (but what the hell is bio 100 if you take bio 1 too? Sounds like bio for non-science majors). At the very least the OP needs to turn this trend around ASAP. Given that the OP is missing the hardest class (organic chem) and the second part of some difficult courses, I think it's safe to say that failure in those would seal his fate.

For the record, I get no joy in having anyone fail, but not everyone succeeds and they deserve to listen to the truth.

18. LUCPM

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OP,

I hope I don't sound too discouraging but you will need to do some damage control. Sure, anything is possible but you have to make it happen. I understand your desire to go to med school ASAP but I would recommend you slowing down to recoup yourself.

I had 10+ withdrawals in my undergrad transcript and even withdrew myself from a graduate program 15 years ago. I eventually had to redo all my prereqs plus some upper division classes. When I came back, I started slow by taking some basic classes first (i.e. Algebra) and made sure I had good, solid foundation to go on to the next class. I also made some serious changes in my study habit as well as my lifestyle. I'm not saying this is the path you should follow but you get the point. In retrospect, I think this is what has helped me gain multiple interviews (no acceptance yet).

What matters is what you have changed, not what you did in the past. Come back and tell us what you have changed. Best of luck to you.:luck:

#17 LUCPM, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  19. md2b111

5+ Year Member

thanks a lot guyz! ur guyz are gr8! i respect each and everyones opinion. but yes indeed i will keep on going. :)

20. md2b111

5+ Year Member

i completely agree with u lucpm! i need to restrategize and rethink my game plan! i will definitely think this over and try to change things for the better. and yes indeed all of us are doing what we do for the ultimate goal and staisfaction of being a physician and most of all being able to make a difference in others lives. godbless.

21. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Sounds like a plan!

22. nicknickp3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I kind of agree with triage, but at the same time if you change NOW and start making those sweet A's from now on you will be fine. If Doctor is endgame-career for you quit working, take out a loan, and focus on school. (if doable)Good luck, ochem is brutal!:xf:

23. costales

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You do need to get a better grasp of the material. Be sure to get help and ask questions if you're not clear about something. If your school has free tutoring, use it. Godspeed and good luck!

#22 costales, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  24. md2b111

5+ Year Member

Thanks!!!!

25. md2b111

5+ Year Member

thats the plan!! so yeah i will keep all of you updated! thaks a lot!!!!!