Retake the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiRi1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was hoping to get some feedback regarding my GRE scores.

I was hoping to get 160 on both sections of the GRE. I ended up with 157V and 158Q. I am not sure about the essays at this point.

I think with a little more time I could do a bit better on each section, but I was wondering if that would change my application enough to make it worth retaking. As far as other aspects of my application:

I do not have a good GPA from my university (3.33). I have not calculated my pGPA, but with retakes of some classes I have all A's in those classes except for A&P 1 and 2 (both B's). After I graduated I retook some classes at a local CC, and have been looking at schools that will accept the most recent grades.

I have observation hours in various settings, including 2 hospitals, pediatrics, outpatient ortho, geriatrics.

I will have solid LORs from PTs I have known for 2+ years. Some volunteer work throughout undergrad, but not many hours since graduating.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't bother retaking it. You have met, if not exceeded the requirements for every school. As long as your writing score is a 4 or better and you met the GPA requirements for the schools you intend to apply or have applied to, it isn't necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally wouldn't bother retaking it. You have met, if not exceeded the requirements for every school. As long as your writing score is a 4 or better and you met the GPA requirements for the schools you intend to apply or have applied to, it isn't necessary.
I agree. This is good advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your reply! I don't mind studying again and trying to get a better score. Do you think getting into the 160s would help my chances?

Thank you both for your reply! I don't mind studying again and trying to get a better score. Do you think getting into the 160s would help my chances?
you're already well above the averages of most schools.

@RiRi1234
Not really. The GRE is important, don't get me wrong, but it is also very important to have solid letters of recommendation, an outstanding personal statement, autobiography or other written document required of each program. You'll also have to be prepared for an interview. Things like that. A high GRE score is awesome, but it isn't the only things schools look at

I just found out my AW score. It was a 4.

I know a better GRE score will not make up for a low GPA. I just want to give myself the best chance of getting into a program.

I know a better GRE score will not make up for a low GPA. I just want to give myself the best chance of getting into a program.

The GRE score is important and in my opinion used to weed out some candidates who do not meet the minimums. I think it will help to balance a lower GPA, although not completely make up for it. With that being said, I don't think you should retake it because your score is already above average, and getting 2-3 points higher on each section won't make much of a difference.

Based on what I know from talking to AdComs and knowing the stats of friends who are current SPT's, I think 155's on both sections and a 4.0AW is good enough to get into plenty of programs. Unless you score in the mid 160's on practice exams, I wouldn't waste $200 to take it again!

Last edited: