Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxifoneforgod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I retake course (mainly pre-reqs) that I got a "C" in?

Also, I got a "D" in a piano class that I took. Will the ADCOMs look unfavorably on that?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I got a "D" in a piano class that I took. Will the ADCOMs look unfavorably on that?
Just a rule of thumb: C's and D's never look good. Also, many schools say C is the minimum grade you can get in a pre req. I was in a similar situation. I had a C in a pre req and retook it for an A. I would recommend doing this. Classes are unbelievably easier the second time around.

Cs and a D huh, yeah, I'd say retake ... Adcoms look unfavorably to anything less than a B.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cs and a D huh, yeah, I'd say retake ... Adcoms look unfavorably to anything less than a B.

I have one question for you, Dr. Inviz....Have you even been accepted to a medical school? You give all of this advice. But do you actually know what they want?

I have one question for you, Dr. Inviz....Have you even been accepted to a medical school? You give all of this advice. But do you actually know what they want?

I have been. So yes, I know what they want in terms of grades. If you feel Cs and Ds are good enough, go for it and check it out yourself.

I have been. So yes, I know what they want in terms of grades. If you feel Cs and Ds are good enough, go for it and check it out yourself.
I agree with Inviz. C's and D's won't cut it, especially in the pre reqs. Your post also made it sound like you had multiple pre reqs with this grade. I was worried about a B- I got in Orgo I. Luckily my interviewer at DMU knew about my schools chem dept and how ridiculous it was (had I known I was going to be pre med when I went to college, I may have chosen another school).

I love it when they attempt to argue with the obvious ...

Edit. It's not worth it ... It's not worth it ... It's not worth it ...

**DELETED TO PROTECT DrInviz**

I find it funny that those who want to become D.O.'s do not understnad the implications of the obvious. D.O.'s are supposed to always be there for those who need support and/or help. Doesnt't the osteopathic oath state:

"I will endeavor to work in accord with my colleagues in a
spirit of progressive cooperation and never by word or by
act cast imputations upon them or their rightful practices."

Shouldn't we all live by this. Even though a question was asked...everyone assumes that attacking would be the best approach. I was only asking a question.

Just as I will ask...Dr. Inviz, what college(s) were you accepted to?

I find it funny that those who want to become D.O.'s do not understnad the implications of the obvious. D.O.'s are supposed to always be there for those who need support and/or help. Doesnt't the osteopathic oath state:

"I will endeavor to work in accord with my colleagues in a
spirit of progressive cooperation and never by word or by
act cast imputations upon them or their rightful practices."

Shouldn't we all live by this. Even though a question was asked...everyone assumes that attacking would be the best approach. I was only asking a question.

Just as I will ask...Dr. Inviz, what college(s) were you accepted to?

If I recall, it was you who attacked me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe I attacked. I merely asked a question.
You questioned his right to point out your his take on your situation......in the premed world, you might as well have tried to kick him in the nuts. That and I think your warm and fuzzy approach (quoting some oath) probably tends to rub Inviz and a few others the wrong way.

... do you actually know what they want?

In an effort to stop the bitchin' and return to the question:

Nobody can tell you what any particular committe wants. Part of the reason why med school decisions are made by "committee" is that every committee member has their very own criteria for who they want to accept. Some won't like you unless you have research. Others won't like you unless you have tons of medical experience. Some might not like you because you wore a blue suit and have red hair. Some committees have four members; some have twenty. Some are made up of just clinicians; some have clinicians, PhDs, administrators and even med students.

The one thing they have in common is that none of them like C's or D's in classes. If you have those, then it's very possible that you'll need to have them explained in some manor.

The nice thing about retaking classes for DO schools is that your C or D will be replaced by an A if you get one. AMCAS averages the two grades. It would really help your science gpa to retake any C's, and it will also help you to master the information for the MCAT if you haven't already taken it.
Having said that, a fair number of people on this forum, myself included, have some sort of bad grade in our academic history. I got a C in one semester of organic chem. It isn't ideal, but one bad grade won't kill you. A bad science gpa and several other bad grades will kill you.

now is orgo 2 considered a pre-req?

I had a D in my orgo II class, and I was asked about that in four out of the five interviews that I attended at DO schools. This is a pre-req, however, so I think it would be a bigger issue than other courses.

If everything else in your transcript is good (i.e. B or above), I wouldn't worry. I think you can explain it away. Orgo is never an easy class for most of us. As far as piano is concerned, not everyone is musically inclined, and you need a certain 'talent factor' in order to excel.

well i recieved a C- in orgo 2 so can i still apply to most medical schools?

well i recieved a C- in orgo 2 so can i still apply to most medical schools?
I don't believe so. All of the schools I looked at required at least a C in all pre reqs. I had a C in one of my pre reqs and retook for an A. Retaking that one class really improved the appearance of my transcript, science GPA, and overall GPA.

well ****....im in the second semester in my junior year and i want to apply early as possible (this summer, hopefully by july). i dont think theres time to retake it, and i really dont want to, that class was horrible. any suggestions on what i should do?

Well, you don't necessarily have to have retaken the course at the time of application. I applied with a D in orgo II, and was retaking the course when I went for my interviews.

But either way, you're gonna need to retake it man. Just suck it up and work hard. If possible, maybe you can try and retake it at some local community college, as it may be easier.

Well, you don't necessarily have to have retaken the course at the time of application. I applied with a D in orgo II, and was retaking the course when I went for my interviews.

But either way, you're gonna need to retake it man. Just suck it up and work hard. If possible, maybe you can try and retake it at some local community college, as it may be easier.
Agreed. Definite retake.

I got a C+ in two prereq classes that I didn't retake:

Electrophysics and
General Chemistry I

Almost all B's across the board in prereqs other than that.

It's the reason why I'm not a competitive applicant... so take that for what it's worth.

Retake C's and D's and up your GPA... don't be an idiot like me.