Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Retake?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by saxifoneforgod, Feb 23, 2007.

1. saxifoneforgod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Should I retake course (mainly pre-reqs) that I got a "C" in?

Also, I got a "D" in a piano class that I took. Will the ADCOMs look unfavorably on that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just a rule of thumb: C's and D's never look good. Also, many schools say C is the minimum grade you can get in a pre req. I was in a similar situation. I had a C in a pre req and retook it for an A. I would recommend doing this. Classes are unbelievably easier the second time around.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    Cs and a D huh, yeah, I'd say retake ... Adcoms look unfavorably to anything less than a B.

4. OP
    OP
    saxifoneforgod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have one question for you, Dr. Inviz....Have you even been accepted to a medical school? You give all of this advice. But do you actually know what they want?

5. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I have been. So yes, I know what they want in terms of grades. If you feel Cs and Ds are good enough, go for it and check it out yourself.

6. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with Inviz. C's and D's won't cut it, especially in the pre reqs. Your post also made it sound like you had multiple pre reqs with this grade. I was worried about a B- I got in Orgo I. Luckily my interviewer at DMU knew about my schools chem dept and how ridiculous it was (had I known I was going to be pre med when I went to college, I may have chosen another school).

7. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    I love it when they attempt to argue with the obvious ...

8. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Edit. It's not worth it ... It's not worth it ... It's not worth it ...

9. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    **DELETED TO PROTECT DrInviz**

10. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    :laugh:

I'm trying so hard. Glad someone out here has my back :laugh:

11. OP
    OP
    saxifoneforgod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I find it funny that those who want to become D.O.'s do not understnad the implications of the obvious. D.O.'s are supposed to always be there for those who need support and/or help. Doesnt't the osteopathic oath state:

"I will endeavor to work in accord with my colleagues in a
    spirit of progressive cooperation and never by word or by
    act cast imputations upon them or their rightful practices."

Shouldn't we all live by this. Even though a question was asked...everyone assumes that attacking would be the best approach. I was only asking a question.

Just as I will ask...Dr. Inviz, what college(s) were you accepted to?

12. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    If I recall, it was you who attacked me.

13. OP
    OP
    saxifoneforgod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't believe I attacked. I merely asked a question.

14. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    You questioned his right to point out your his take on your situation......in the premed world, you might as well have tried to kick him in the nuts. That and I think your warm and fuzzy approach (quoting some oath) probably tends to rub Inviz and a few others the wrong way.

15. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In an effort to stop the bitchin' and return to the question:

Nobody can tell you what any particular committe wants. Part of the reason why med school decisions are made by "committee" is that every committee member has their very own criteria for who they want to accept. Some won't like you unless you have research. Others won't like you unless you have tons of medical experience. Some might not like you because you wore a blue suit and have red hair. Some committees have four members; some have twenty. Some are made up of just clinicians; some have clinicians, PhDs, administrators and even med students.

The one thing they have in common is that none of them like C's or D's in classes. If you have those, then it's very possible that you'll need to have them explained in some manor.

16. KeyLime

10+ Year Member

The nice thing about retaking classes for DO schools is that your C or D will be replaced by an A if you get one. AMCAS averages the two grades. It would really help your science gpa to retake any C's, and it will also help you to master the information for the MCAT if you haven't already taken it.
    Having said that, a fair number of people on this forum, myself included, have some sort of bad grade in our academic history. I got a C in one semester of organic chem. It isn't ideal, but one bad grade won't kill you. A bad science gpa and several other bad grades will kill you.

17. Mr_Doc

Mr_Doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    now is orgo 2 considered a pre-req?

18. Dr.Inviz

Removed

Pre-Medical
    yes.

19. bravotwozero

bravotwozero Chronically ambitious
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had a D in my orgo II class, and I was asked about that in four out of the five interviews that I attended at DO schools. This is a pre-req, however, so I think it would be a bigger issue than other courses.

If everything else in your transcript is good (i.e. B or above), I wouldn't worry. I think you can explain it away. Orgo is never an easy class for most of us. As far as piano is concerned, not everyone is musically inclined, and you need a certain 'talent factor' in order to excel.

20. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not all the time; I think some schools allow you to take a biochem class with lab instead of Orgo 2.

21. Mr_Doc

Mr_Doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well i recieved a C- in orgo 2 so can i still apply to most medical schools?

22. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't believe so. All of the schools I looked at required at least a C in all pre reqs. I had a C in one of my pre reqs and retook for an A. Retaking that one class really improved the appearance of my transcript, science GPA, and overall GPA.

23. Mr_Doc

Mr_Doc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well ****....im in the second semester in my junior year and i want to apply early as possible (this summer, hopefully by july). i dont think theres time to retake it, and i really dont want to, that class was horrible. any suggestions on what i should do?

24. bravotwozero

bravotwozero Chronically ambitious
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, you don't necessarily have to have retaken the course at the time of application. I applied with a D in orgo II, and was retaking the course when I went for my interviews.

But either way, you're gonna need to retake it man. Just suck it up and work hard. If possible, maybe you can try and retake it at some local community college, as it may be easier.

25. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed. Definite retake.

26. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I got a C+ in two prereq classes that I didn't retake:

Electrophysics and
    General Chemistry I

Almost all B's across the board in prereqs other than that.

It's the reason why I'm not a competitive applicant... so take that for what it's worth.

Retake C's and D's and up your GPA... don't be an idiot like me.