Retaking 19AA? worth the gamble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Normally a 19AA/19TS would be good, but your sGPA just isn't that good. You might want to try again...it's up to you.

I'd stick with the scores you have received (at least for this application cycle).

You're a re-applicant, and this is already a significant factor in your favor. Schools like to see people that don't give up. :thumbup:

I think you have significantly improved your scores overall.

Although you still have average stats, according to what I've heard and witnessed you'll likely land some interviews and maybe an acceptance or two. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, unfortunately, you will probably need to retake your DATS. With your GPA, it is going to be hard for them to take you in, even with incredible activities/shadowing/LoR. The competitiveness of dental school is increasing and I was surprised by how many 3.5, 19 DATs were rejected last year. You need to get at least a 21 to make up for the deficiencies in your GPA.

http://honors.tamu.edu/downloads/opgsa/Dentchart09.pdf

Last edited:
I'd stick with the scores you have received (at least for this application cycle).

You're a re-applicant, and this is already a significant factor in your favor. Schools like to see people that don't give up. :thumbup:

Although you still have average stats, according to what I've heard and witnessed you'll likely land some interviews and maybe an acceptance or two. :)

listen to MrBeans... :thumbup:

listen to MrBeans... :thumbup:

You're a re-applicant, and this is already a significant factor in your favor.

As a 3rd time applicant, all I have to say to that is LOL Seriously?

Anyways, OP. My advice to you is if a 19 is truly what you are capable of, do not retake the test. In other words, if you studied your behind off for this last round for a few months then don't retake... but if you just did like a two-week cram session then it's probably in your best interest (both time and money-wise) to retake it.

There are plenty of other ways to boost your stats like post-bacs, masters programs, extra volunteering/shadowing, research, etc. The DAT is not your only option to make your app stand out.

As a 3rd time applicant, all I have to say to that is LOL Seriously?

This is what I was told from a dental school admissions staff.

She told me that they favor second time applicants because it shows dedication and determination. Furthermore, the adcoms look for increase in competitiveness (GPA, ECs, DAT).

I wasn't making that up when I said that schools like repeat applicants.

However, if one doesn't get in on at least the 3rd try, I was told the applicant should seriously reevaluate themselves and make the most "appropriate choices at that point."

I see. I guess it just depends on certain schools then. Care to share which schools favor reapplicants? I would like to know.

This is what I was told from a dental school admissions staff.

She told me that they favor second time applicants because it shows dedication and determination. Furthermore, the adcoms look for increase in competitiveness (GPA, ECs, DAT).

I wasn't making that up when I said that schools like repeat applicants.

However, if one doesn't get in on at least the 3rd try, I was told the applicant should seriously reevaluate themselves and make the most "appropriate choices at that point."

It is true that reapplicants are favored but that additional year has to show some increased productivity. Take for example someone who has just graduated. If they do absolutely nothing for the year after they are rejected, then they are probably in a worse position than they were the cycle before. If you are rejected because your academic statistics are lacking, then there isn't much else that would help besides improving your academic stats. When they say "dedication" and "determination", they are referring to applicants who went out and incredibly increased their competitiveness. And let's face it, after graduation, you can get some more shadowing hours or more community service but that is not going to make up for a low GPA/DAT. So back to OP, I would strongly suggest hitting your DAT books once again (surpass your limits!!!:scared:). That or continue boosting up your GPA. But boosting your DAT is much easier.

I retook my DAT at end of june, but did not improve much from my 18TS. i now have 19AA/19TS. Last time I had two 17s, this time i have no 17s but my lowest are 18s in chem and ochem!! sGPA is ~3.25

Should I retake? its a gamble of lowering my good scores (ie: first time I had 19/20 in my chems and they dropped to 18s), but my 17s (one in biology) increased to 20s. i didnt study differently other than hammering bio better, but repeating that 20+ on bio seems difficult with its randomness? also i definitely got lucky with 20s on RC and QR this time, and dont think ill be so lucky next time.

I am a reapplicant and i REALLLYYYY want to get into a school, ANY school! where did students my scores/grades get accepted? advice?! if i do retake, it will have to be at the end of september (90 days) and this will be the 3rd time (last time ADA allows)

It really depends on what you have been doing since your last year applying. If you have done nothing then yes retake the test. If you have been doing a lot then it should be good enough to get an interview if you applied early. Really depends on what other extracurricular activities you have going on.

Don't waste your 3rd time taking the test. Have you done any post-bac or masters? What is your cGPA like? Your DAT is the average for most schools, so it's not the area to focus on especially when you only have one more real chance. If you have done post-bac or masters classes send me a pm and i'll tell you some schools that like master's students.

Normally a 19AA/19TS would be good, but your sGPA just isn't that good. You might want to try again...it's up to you.

I've seen many people go past the 20 threshold with good preparation, but only do it if you have the time to invest.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i applied before going into my senior yr in college. so this time around, i had another year's worth of upper division biology which brought up my science gpa a bit to the 3.25. ive also done some light additional shadowing and dental volunteer work. but will admissions really see these things i did this past yr to improve? do they actually look at my recent grades and recent activities? seems kind of tedious to spot them out.

it seems that most of the replies here are leaning towards a retake, but please keep in mind that the retake would have to be at the end of september. would that be too late?

well i applied before going into my senior yr in college. so this time around, i had another year's worth of upper division biology which brought up my science gpa a bit to the 3.25. ive also done some light additional shadowing and dental volunteer work. but will admissions really see these things i did this past yr to improve? do they actually look at my recent grades and recent activities? seems kind of tedious to spot them out.

it seems that most of the replies here are leaning towards a retake, but please keep in mind that the retake would have to be at the end of september. would that be too late?

Yea, that'd be too late.

Anyways, OP. My advice to you is if a 19 is truly what you are capable of, do not retake the test. In other words, if you studied your behind off for this last round for a few months then don't retake... but if you just did like a two-week cram session then it's probably in your best interest (both time and money-wise) to retake it.
Like divided said, unless you really didn't study at all for the first two tests you will unlikely do much better, and you could do worse if you take the test again. My pre-health adviser said that the average student increases their score by one point on the first retake and doesn't increase their score on average on every retake after that. So there are just as many students that do worse as do better on their third retake. Obviously there are exceptions but you would be taking a chance on doing worse, it's never safe to expect to be the outlier.

Skylark, which schools are you applying to? Any private schools?

Hey I'm wondering too...I got a 19 AA/20 TS/19 PAT (GPA: 3.64) and was considering a retake at the beginning of October. If I submitted score reports to the schools I'm applying to with my current score but on my application say that I'm retaking it, will that hurt me in anyway? Like will adcoms not consider me until they get that 2nd DAT from me, or will they still look at my app and if I look good at all for interviews, they'll still call?

I don't think I'll have a problem improving my score cuz I know my stuff and even so, I have time to improve even more, but mostly my problem when I took this recent DAT was that I was a ball of nerves and didn't do as well as I could've.

Yeah, good question. I'm in the middle of the ballpark with 19AA as well.

To be honest, I have talked to some people in high places at a few dental schools and they seem to realize that the DAT is not necessarily a great indicator of performance in dental school. In actuality, some of the students with the lower DAT's actually graduate in the top of their class. This leads adcoms to judge more on personality and other factors that may be more important. I know they say numbers are everything, but that is only if your personality sucks or you need to make up for mistakes along the way...

This is what I was told from a dental school admissions staff. She told me that they favor second time applicants because it shows dedication and determination. Furthermore, the adcoms look for increase in competitiveness (GPA, ECs, DAT). I wasn't making that up when I said that schools like repeat applicants. However, if one doesn't get in on at least the 3rd try, I was told the applicant should seriously reevaluate themselves and make the most "appropriate choices at that point."

If ds prefer 2nd time applicants wouldn't that extend that to the 3rd, 4th, nth time applicants as well? After all, it does show "dedication and determination". What the "admissions staff" probably didn't clarify for you is that preference may be given provided the applicant(s) has (have) something to offer other than d & d.

If ds prefer 2nd time applicants wouldn't that extend that to the 3rd, 4th, nth time applicants as well? After all, it does show "dedication and determination". What the "admissions staff" probably didn't clarify for you is that preference may be given provided the applicant(s) has (have) something to offer other than d & d.

:confused:

If you read my response, favorably does extend to 2nd and 3rd time re-applicants. However, after the 3rd time, there is a "diminishing return."

Furthermore, I clearly stated the school told me they do look for a significant improvement in philanthropic growth, diversity, and academic improvement in the re-applicant's resume.

If you read my response, favorably does extend to 2nd and 3rd time re-applicants. However, after the 3rd time, there is a "diminishing return." Furthermore, I clearly stated the school told me they do look for a significant improvement in philanthropic growth, diversity, and academic improvement in the re-applicant's resume.

The reference was made comparing, more or less, 2 identical applicants except for number of tries, but who cares (?). Changing "diversity" from one year to the next- now that's an achievement.

Take it from someone who initally had a 19 on their DAT and didn't get accepted anywhere their first cycle. Bump up that DAT and the interviews will come. Good luck :luck:

The reference was made comparing, more or less, 2 identical applicants except for number of tries, but who cares (?). Changing "diversity" from one year to the next- now that's an achievement.

Diversity in ECs and Volunteer (philanthropic) experience.

If you thought I meant ethnic diversity status, I don't know what's going on in your noggin. :laugh:

Diversity in ECs and Volunteer (philanthropic) experience. If you thought I meant ethnic diversity status, I don't know what's going on in your noggin. :laugh:

That is certain to thrill adcoms. From soup kitchens to helping little old ladies cross the street; now that's diversity.

That is certain to thrill adcoms. From soup kitchens to helping little old ladies cross the street; now that's diversity.

Some people's notion of meritable volunteer/EC diversity are slightly different than others; some lofty, some conservative.

Different folks, different strokes.

:rolleyes:

Some people's notion of meritable volunteer/EC diversity are slightly different than others; some lofty, some conservative.
Different folks, different strokes. :rolleyes:

There are may be some question on what is a "meritable" EC, but there is going to be less of a discussion on what a competitive gpa/Dat score is.

Last edited: