Retaking 514 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snaredrummer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a long-time lurker here on SDN and this is my first time posting. I am looking for advice as to whether I should retake the MCAT. I have taken the MCAT a total of two times. I received a 511 (126/124/131/130) on my first attempt and a 514 (126/126/131/131) on my second attempt. To give you a background on myself:

I graduated from a public university of California in 2015 (cumulative GPA: 3.47, science GPA: 3.35), with an upper trend in GPA. After graduating, I started the Boston University special masters program (BU MAMS), where I received a GPA of 4.0.

I have applied to medical school two times. The first time I applied to ~30 mid-tier MD programs and did not get any interviews. This was also before I completed my master’s program and when I still had a 511 MCAT score. Here is a breakdown of my extracurriculars:

Basic science research (~1000 hours)
Medical scribe (~700 hours)
Hospital volunteer (~200 hours)
Drum instructor and performer (~3000 hours)
International mobile clinic volunteer (~100 hours)
Director and officer of several student run organizations (~200 hours)

During the second time I applied, I had a 514 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA in the MAMS program. I also had more more volunteer experience with underserved populations along with more research experience. I again applied to ~30 mid-tier MD schools, and this time I received one interview and was later wailisted, but ultimately did not get in. I am currently planning on reapplying the 2019-2020 cycle.

I have been told that my chem/phys section of the MCAT was “too low”, while others have told me that my MCAT score is fine. I am really torn as to whether I should retake, especially since I am working full-time and therefore don’t have much time to study. Is my unbalanced MCAT score an issue? Is my MCAT preventing me from receiving more interviews? Any input would be appreciated. I want to thank you all so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a similar MCAT as you but my score was even more lopsided with my CP score lower than yours are. After receiving my scores, I panic-emailed all of the admissions departments to the schools I applied to, and none said that that alone would prevent me from receiving an interview. Your scores are both very good and I don’t think you need to retake the test. There’s also always the risk that you’ll end up with a worse/similar score.

Have you considered applying to DO schools as well in your next cycle?

Hi all, I am a long-time lurker here on SDN and this is my first time posting. I am looking for advice as to whether I should retake the MCAT. I have taken the MCAT a total of two times. I received a 511 (126/124/131/130) on my first attempt and a 514 (126/126/131/131) on my second attempt. To give you a background on myself:

I graduated from a public university of California in 2015 (cumulative GPA: 3.47, science GPA: 3.35), with an upper trend in GPA. After graduating, I started the Boston University special masters program (BU MAMS), where I received a GPA of 4.0.

I have applied to medical school two times. The first time I applied to ~30 mid-tier MD programs and did not get any interviews. This was also before I completed my master’s program and when I still had a 511 MCAT score. Here is a breakdown of my extracurriculars:

During the second time I applied, I had a 514 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA in the MAMS program. I also had more more volunteer experience with underserved populations along with more research experience. I again applied to ~30 mid-tier MD schools, and this time I received one interview and was later wailisted, but ultimately did not get in. I am currently planning on reapplying the 2019-2020 cycle.

I have been told that my chem/phys section of the MCAT was “too low”, while others have told me that my MCAT score is fine. I am really torn as to whether I should retake, especially since I am working full-time and therefore don’t have much time to study. Is my unbalanced MCAT score an issue? Is my MCAT preventing me from receiving more interviews? Any input would be appreciated. I want to thank you all so much in advance!
Retaking a high MCAT score multiple times (believe it or not), will actually decrease your chances of getting into medical school. No one wants that student who ends up suing their medical school for “discriminatorily” giving them a 92 instead of a 96

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a similar MCAT as you but my score was even more lopsided with my CP score lower than yours are. After receiving my scores, I panic-emailed all of the admissions departments to the schools I applied to, and none said that that alone would prevent me from receiving an interview. Your scores are both very good and I don’t think you need to retake the test. There’s also always the risk that you’ll end up with a worse/similar score.

Have you considered applying to DO schools as well in your next cycle?

Thanks so much for your input! Yeah, there's definitely the possibility of doing worst. Since I am working full-time now, I'm not sure if I even have enough time to pull off the same score lol. And yes, I will be applying to DO schools as well during the next cycle. Best of luck to you for this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Retaking a high MCAT score multiple times (believe it or not), will actually decrease your chances of getting into medical school. No one wants that student who ends up suing their medical school for “discriminatorily” giving them a 92 instead of a 96

Thanks for your input! I haven't thought about it that way haha.

Don't waste any more time on the MCAT. Instead, focus on whatever you feel is lacking on your application. You'll get somewhere next cycle if you apply broadly to MD and DO.

Thanks for your input! I haven't thought about it that way haha.

This is quite depressing, that 4.0 in the SMP should've alone given you a few interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
The 514 isn't the issue. If I had to bet I'd wager your personal statement is lackluster.

Reactions: 3 users
Your 514 MCAT is not the issue, Your CA residency and your "mid-tiered" school list are. You should apply broadly... which means including low-tiered OOS schools which are known friendly to CA applicants. Which MD school interviewed you in your 2nd cycle?

To answer your main question, I don't think you should retake the mcat without a lot more preperation as the two weakest sections of your MCAT Chem/CARs didn't improve much on the 2nd attempt, so its too big of a gamble. Your app looks great, but sometimes the whole process is very random due to the sheer number of applicants. Plus you're from california, and im guessing ORM? I am also a 3rd time reapplicant, and i can understand why you think you need to improve your mcat score, but I believe you'll find sucess your third cycle as long as you apply early, prepare good essays, and continue to add extracurricular and unique experiences. PM me if you need any help!

Have you had someone go through your app entirely to get a second opinion. I know Cali is competitive but you should have had more invites than just 1... I feel like theres a red flag somewhere

No MCAT, focus on other parts of your app!!!

Unless I'm misreading you only have 200 volunteering hours. Some people wrack up thousands and can talk passionately about how they like to teach poor kids, help the homeless get job training, etc. Some schools may also not be looking at scribing as synonymous with physician shadowing - don't quite me on that but some lazy reader may be looking for SHADOWING and not see that you've seen quite a bit as a scribe. Who knows.

Find a doctor to shadow, find a cause you like and put in 2-4 hours per week, and maybe look into DO too? Also rewrite everything.

MCAT is not a magic bullet and looking smarter than a 514 and 4.0 SMP is probably not going to solve your problem. It sucks to work hard and not get in.

I don't know the ins/outs of specifically applying in California, but with an application like yours (solid all around & interesting extracurriculars; you don't need anywhere near 2,000 hours of volunteerism btw, 200 is great) it can only be because of essays/personal statement, some kind of red flag you're not telling us about, application strategy (reasonable school list/applying early), or maybe one of your letters of rec is bringing you down.

Other than that I have no idea why you wouldn't be getting more interviews based on my experience & friends' experiences that I went through the cycle with.

More most med schools after scoring above X number on MCAT they know you can handle the load. Focus on other aspects

My big question is when are you applying during the cycle? Applying late can really put you at a disadvantage. You should have your primary apps ready to submit in May-June (ish) of the year before you will matriculate. Do not re-take your MCAT it is surely good enough (not for top tier but solid mid-tier MD schools). If you haven't tried applying early you should apply early next cycle and include some DO schools just to be safe. You should try and have someone who knows the app process well look at your school list to make sure you are applying smart and also have several different reputable sources review your application and PS to detect anything that may put-off some Adcoms. Make sure you have no glaring red flags either

Last edited:
It's getting tough out there. Studying for the MCAT again would be a huge pain and even a risk to your application if you don't score much better (would need 517+ to justify re-take imo). I think you can make it into an MD, but you will need to write very well in your PS, activities, and secondaries, and then have good LOR's.

Apply broadly to in-state, any and all OOS friendly schools, and DO schools. Spend more time on secondaries where you're above the target MCAT range. Probably don't apply to Top 15 unless they're In-state. I had a similar score on a re-take (3rd try), great-stellar extracurriculars, but maybe a weak personal statement and landed 4 MD II's.

I think you can surely get into a DO but I also wouldn't be surprised if you got a few MD interviews if you did a bit more refining on your essays. There's a ton of other applicants who took the same path you, so make sure you find an angle that makes you stand out. PM me if you want to discuss some ideas about this!

Have you tried reaching out to the schools that have rejected you who provide feedback? This thread has a list of schools receptive to pre II rejection feedback: Schools that provide application feedback?
Based on your stats and ECs, I'd take into consideration the strength of your PS/secondary essays and LORs. Also I'd look into getting more nonclinical volunteering hours before reapplying.

Unless I'm misreading you only have 200 volunteering hours. Some people wrack up thousands and can talk passionately about how they like to teach poor kids, help the homeless get job training, etc. Some schools may also not be looking at scribing as synonymous with physician shadowing - don't quite me on that but some lazy reader may be looking for SHADOWING and not see that you've seen quite a bit as a scribe. Who knows.

Find a doctor to shadow, find a cause you like and put in 2-4 hours per week, and maybe look into DO too? Also rewrite everything.

MCAT is not a magic bullet and looking smarter than a 514 and 4.0 SMP is probably not going to solve your problem. It sucks to work hard and not get in.

I recognize this comment is a day late and a dollar short:

I applied via TMDSAS with 150 hours of volunteering (not including clinical) and received interviews from half the schools in the state, including Houston and Southwestern. My GPA and MCAT were nothing special (LM 70ish). The volunteering isn’t the issue.

I recognize this comment is a day late and a dollar short:

I applied via TMDSAS with 150 hours of volunteering (not including clinical) and received interviews from half the schools in the state, including Houston and Southwestern. My GPA and MCAT were nothing special (LM 70ish). The volunteering isn’t the issue.
TMDSAS is not the same process or competitiveness as AMCAS. Unlike OP, you are competing within your state and not throughout the nation. Second, a LM score of 70 is above average and you know it. Stop trying to humble brag and let those of us who have already gone through the process, properly advise OP please.

TMDSAS is not the same process or competitiveness as AMCAS. Unlike OP, you are competing within your state and not throughout the nation. Second, a LM score of 70 is above average and you know it. Stop trying to humble brag and let those of us who have already gone through the process, properly advise OP please.

TMDSAS, stats-wise, is almost identical in competitiveness to AMCAS. If I recall correctly, Texas ranks around the middle of the pack in terms of how difficult it is to gain admission to medical school on a state-by-state basis (there’s a map going around somewhere). Even if we examined on a school-by-school basis, Southwestern has a median GPA/MCAT of 3.9/516 and Houston of about 3.84/514.

I was about 3.9/508. It’s obvious that this isn’t what was doing it for me, especially at those schools. My point was that, even with low volunteer hours and stats below the median at some places I interviewed, I was still able to get an interview. Thus, 1) high amounts of volunteering are not required to receive interviews, and 2) my stats were not compensatory for these interviews. I recognize that LM70 is above average. So are those schools.

Obviously, this varies by school. Some schools place tremendous value on volunteerism. Others, not so much. Less than 200 hours of volunteering does not explain two failed cycles.

Oftentimes the conundrum with reapplications is you really don't know what went wrong, and you NEED to change something for next time to talk about or give some cursory answer about how your app improved. Going 'I don't know. I applied pretty late so here is the same app 2 months early' isn't going to cut it on essay/interview prompts about reapplying.

You need to make everything look different. New assets. New essays. Make sure your letters are really from passionate faculty, everything.

-Could be the OPs uGPA is dragging them down
-Poor school list
-Non-clinical volunteer hours in an international setting which is polarizing these days
-Lack of an entry that says SHADOWING because someone might be looking for that and gloss over Scribing, especially if its under a subheading like "Employment"