Retaking a class and got the same grade :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOpotential

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Anatomy and Physiology I and received a B-.
I retook the class and received the same grade. The reason why I retook the class was that I was an undergrad PT student (0-6 institution) and my progression got delayed due to being a lazy bum by mooching off my parents hard earned money (yes you can lecture me now but i learned a valuable lesson) and not doing anything productive one school year.
THE PLUS SIDE I retook Anatomy and Physiology II and received an A-. i received a C- before.
I realized my mooching can only take me so far in life and I started studying and becoming a better student. I had a new vision of becoming a doctor so i can help those in need in foreign countries as well as show other students that anything is possible.
Among my other retakes was an F in Histology which became a B and a D in Biostats which became a B as well.
I have a bunch of retaken classes unfortunately as well. only retook them once, but still did retake them. I also took Physics I and II as well as ORGO II with the lab at a CC.
ALL SAID AND DONE THIS IS WHAT I GOT... with everything undergrad related put together

undergrad cum 3.24 according to AAMCOS
sGPA of 3.0225
CURRENTLY: 3.2 GPA as a PT student in my first year. (i took gross anatomy :/EEKSSS)
MCAT:25
100+ shadowing hours at ER/ doctors offices, 100+ shadowing hours at PT clinics

My situation is this. Do i apply now? or wait until PT school is over work a year and then apply with the same stats? or should i even apply at all considering my low stats.

thanks in advance :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

So your undergrad GPA was low, and your post-bacc GPA is even lower? Plus your MCAT is low? Don't apply this cycle. If your GPA was a 3.2 with an upward trend, you could just do really well on an MCAT retake and try to apply. However, your 3.2 actually has a slight downward trend, which is never good. ECs don't matter if your GPA/MCAT get you automatically screened out.

Suggest finishing PT school to show good performace over an extended stretch of time.
What's concerning me is that the re-take grades aren't that stellar. However, if you do end up with your GPAs over the 3.1 mark, then I think you'll be getting some interviews.

Also, I'm being dead serious here, if you don't succeed in medicine, you have another profession to fall back on career-wise. Not everyone is meant to be a doctor.

I took Anatomy and Physiology I and received a B-.
I retook the class and received the same grade. The reason why I retook the class was that I was an undergrad PT student (0-6 institution) and my progression got delayed due to being a lazy bum by mooching off my parents hard earned money (yes you can lecture me now but i learned a valuable lesson) and not doing anything productive one school year.
THE PLUS SIDE I retook Anatomy and Physiology II and received an A-. i received a C- before.
I realized my mooching can only take me so far in life and I started studying and becoming a better student. I had a new vision of becoming a doctor so i can help those in need in foreign countries as well as show other students that anything is possible.
Among my other retakes was an F in Histology which became a B and a D in Biostats which became a B as well.
I have a bunch of retaken classes unfortunately as well. only retook them once, but still did retake them. I also took Physics I and II as well as ORGO II with the lab at a CC.
ALL SAID AND DONE THIS IS WHAT I GOT... with everything undergrad related put together

undergrad cum 3.24 according to AAMCOS
sGPA of 3.0225
CURRENTLY: 3.2 GPA as a PT student in my first year. (i took gross anatomy :/EEKSSS)
MCAT:25
100+ shadowing hours at ER/ doctors offices, 100+ shadowing hours at PT clinics

My situation is this. Do i apply now? or wait until PT school is over work a year and then apply with the same stats? or should i even apply at all considering my low stats.

thanks in advance :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
i completely understand that a lot of people arent meant to be a doctor. I just have a passion to become one and I am not going to let a couple of repeat courses that I get a B in bring me down.

I am only entering my second semester of my first year as a PT student so I know my gpa has the potential to be on the rise to possibly a 3.3. Considering the classes in PT school contain courses like Gross Anatomy, I thought would work for my advantage

Also this MCAT score was from a year ago. Ive been scoring in the 31-34 on all my timed practice exams currently.

Do you suggest waiting a whole new semester to bring up my grades as well retaking the MCAT and receiving a min 30?

i completely understand that a lot of people arent meant to be a doctor. I just have a passion to become one and I am not going to let a couple of repeat courses that I get a B in bring me down.

I am only entering my second semester of my first year as a PT student so I know my gpa has the potential to be on the rise to possibly a 3.3. Considering the classes in PT school contain courses like Gross Anatomy, I thought would work for my advantage

Also this MCAT score was from a year ago. Ive been scoring in the 31-34 on all my timed practice exams currently.

Do you suggest waiting a whole new semester to bring up my grades as well retaking the MCAT and receiving a min 30?

I would wait for sure, and although it is nice to score those numbers on practice exams, wait and see what you get on your actual MCAT retake.

I don't see things turning very favorably in your direction. Those retakes are simply atrocious. If you can't get an "A" the second time around, it's not about laziness but inability to really absorb the material.

Are you completely out of the game? Nope, but I do think you need a minimum of 2 semesters with a high upward trend in the sciences.

Probably longer than 1 semester. You need A's, especially in retakes.

I don't see things turning very favorably in your direction. Those retakes are simply atrocious. If you can't get an "A" the second time around, it's not about laziness but inability to really absorb the material.

Are you completely out of the game? Nope, but I do think you need a minimum of 2 semesters with a high upward trend in the sciences.

Agree with the retakes not looking good, but I don't know about what the grade says regarding laziness vs inability to learn. Either way though, (lazy, or incapable) it's bad.

Also, I'm not saying PT students are dumb or anything, but everyone knows that the allied health "equivalent" to a pre-med or med course are almost always much easier and less detailed. So if you aren't getting A's in allied health anatomy, histology, and biostatistics, what does that say about your ability to perform in those classes in med school?

Also, I hope you got A's in every single one of the classes you took at CC.

cool i have a bunch of retakes but A+P I, Histology, and Biostats were the only C to B's. My transcript clearly shows everything else has been moved to an A. so my chances are eliminated just by these three courses?! damn i didnt realize that.

but i definitely get what you mean by the upward trend in the sciences. i'll have to work extra hard from this semester on to show that. i have about five more semesters in PT school so I can definitely prove myself

cool i have a bunch of retakes but A+P I, Histology, and Biostats were the only C to B's. My transcript clearly shows everything else has been moved to an A. so my chances are eliminated just by these three courses?! damn i didnt realize that.

but i definitely get what you mean by the upward trend in the sciences. i'll have to work extra hard from this semester on to show that. i have about five more semesters in PT school so I can definitely prove myself

No, definitely not. They just aren't helping you all that much. Don't give up!

Chances have definitely NOT been eliminated, but you are not in a pretty place for more mistakes.

And if you want to do medicine, do medicine. Stop working on a PT degree you don't need and won't impress anyone.