Retaking a class means no chance of acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDKid89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only got one D ever..physics. All my other grades are very very good. I'm planning to retake but I heard it will hurt you still if even if you got a good grade the second time. Heard from someone recently saying might as well consider another profession..My GPA is still above the minimum..

Members don't see this ad.

No, retaking certainly does not mean no chance. Lots of people retake classes. The problem is that if you have been granted conditional acceptance and you got a D, you may have your acceptance rescinded. You are obligated to tell the admissions office at your pharmacy school that you got a D.

Retake it and do good. They'll probably take the average of your two marks so the only thing to do IS to retake it to make that average go up.

Don't worry, you're still in the game. I'm probably going to retake calc if I don't get accepted this year :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking a class doesn't take you out of the game, I'll list the classes I've retaken here.

Gen Chem I - Retook it from a C+ to B+
Gen Chem II - Retook it from a C+, Withdrew from the retake, Retook it in the Summer for a B-
Organic Chem I - Retook from a UW to a D, then a D to an A
Organic Chem II - Retook from F to B.
Human Anatomy - Retook from C+ to B-.
Biology I - Retook from a D to B-.

Last edited:
Retake it and do good. They'll probably take the average of your two marks so the only thing to do IS to retake it to make that average go up.

Don't worry, you're still in the game. I'm probably going to retake calc if I don't get accepted this year :rolleyes:

Quoted for truth - Retake & slam dunk that course - Admissions wouldn't accept that D, but an A + D averaged together... yeah - we'll let a few baddies slide by (especially if you put out that maximum effort).

~above~

Thanks for everything. Feel a little better. I just hope I get a better professor next semester who actually teaches and is FAIR. The guy I had last semester was horrible, never taught and made the tests ridicuosly tough.

Here are my other grades though for this past semester:

Anatomy and Physiology: A
English: A
ORC: A -
Organic Chemistry: B

Would have pulled a 3.7 GPA if it wasn't for physics :(
But I'm going to crack down next semester and make everything up..so determined to do so :)

The other thing not yet mentioned is that when they see that you did get a D but then turned around and got an A or even a B, they will see that you showed perseverance and figured out what was the problem with you and that class and fixed it. Plenty of people have had to re-take classes before, myself included and I'm halfway through my P2 year. Keep your head up and kick the hell out of the class next time and don't look back. Good luck!!

I suggest you should think "how are you going to improve your weakness?" And do you worry about retaking will turn off your chance. It is no perfect condition, but it all depends on how you think about the situation.

imo, if you're going to retake a class, you have to nail it, regardless of your previous score. get an A, worst case scenario an A-

Keep in mind that retaking the class in the summer will be too late unless you can work something out with your pharmacy school. Unfortunately I believe they would rather have someone who can pass physics the first time around rather than having to retake it.

imo, if you're going to retake a class, you have to nail it, regardless of your previous score. get an A, worst case scenario an A-

You would think, but I retook a few classes without getting A's.. 1st quarter ochem, first grade D+ retake B-... 3rd quarter ochem, first grade C-, retake C; 3rd quarter calculus, first grade D+, retake B-.. I'm still going to pharmacy school next year.

A lot of schools I talked with said they didn't care so much about retaking a class (except that I needed to meet minimum standards, which for several was C or better) but that they'd like to see me take advanced classes that aren't necessarily prerequisites to show that I could handle the advanced subject matter. So it could be that the classes I needed for my degree anyway helped me out there.

If you're still in the application stage, then I think it's also really important to be smart about your application. Write good essays, get good LORs, apply EARLY.