Retaking a course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morgan1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 4th semester and it did not go to well. My GPA dropped from 3.50 to a 3.42. Physics kicked my butt and I finished with a B-. The frustrating part was that I felt it was a class I could have done much, much better in. I had an o-chem exam every day before my physics exams (including the final). I took too many science courses and now I am trying to decide if I should retake physics in the fall and work for the A I feel like I have the ability to earn or take the B- and move on.

Members don't see this ad.

Retaking a C/D/F is understandable, but a B- in physics... Ehhh.

Would it replace your current physics grade on your official transcript, or would the new grade even be factored into your GPA since you already took it? These are things that can significantly vary by institution, so it's best to ask your Registrar's Office and/or advisor first.

I, personally, wouldn't waste my time retaking unless I could guarantee that I could get an A and recieve some kind of grade replacement, but even then one B- isn't the end of the world. I'd also see how retaking would affect my 4-year graduation timeline and decide my course of action accordingly.

Retaking a C/D/F is understandable, but a B- in physics... Ehhh.

Would it replace your current physics grade on your official transcript, or would the new grade even be factored into your GPA since you already took it? These are things that can significantly vary by institution, so it's best to ask your Registrar's Office and/or advisor first.

I, personally, wouldn't waste my time retaking unless I could guarantee that I could get an A and recieve some kind of grade replacement, but even then one B- isn't the end of the world. I'd also see how retaking would affect my 4-year graduation timeline and decide my course of action accordingly.

It wouldn't replace my grade on my transcript. I'm pretty sure I could get an A in it the second time around because my course load will be a bit lighter next semester since I finished most of my "weed out" classes. I've heard that MD schools will average the two grades and most DO schools will replace the grade. I'm ahead in credits so it shouldn't affect my graduation time. I'm just really conflicted about what to do :/