Retaking Classes, Does it change what PTs may think of me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caits2021

Reaction score
I earned a C in one of my chemistry classes. I am considering retaking the class to earn a better grade in this particular class. Is it frowned upon? Or will the PT schools see it as an effort to improve my application for the better?

Members don't see this ad.

I earned a C in one of my chemistry classes. I am considering retaking the class to earn a better grade in this particular class. Is it frowned upon? Or will the PT schools see it as an effort to improve my application for the better?
Which class is it?

They should not really care as long as your overall GPA is competitive. If it is, you don't even need to retake one class with a C since it will make only a tiny difference in your GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So it depends on the schools you are applying to. The schools I want to apply to mentioned to me that it is the upward trend and prerequisite gpa that they care about most. They suggested that I retake my C's for A's. It is not frowned upon, it makes you look better because you are determined to be admitted. I retook gen chem II at my local community college and received an A. I am only applying to schools that replace the old grade with the new, so this benefited me.

Reactions: 1 user
So it depends on the schools you are applying to. The schools I want to apply to mentioned to me that it is the upward trend and prerequisite gpa that they care about most. They suggested that I retake my C's for A's. It is not frowned upon, it makes you look better because you are determined to be admitted. I retook gen chem II at my local community college and received an A. I am only applying to schools that replace the old grade with the new, so this benefited me.

Thank you!!

It is the complete opposite of being frowned upon. If you do well, it raises your science-, science/math-, overall- and prerequisite-GPA. Note: PTCAS takes the average GPA of repeat classes, so your GPA might not jump up as much as you'd expect. As @kippermr said, prerequisite GPAs are heavily considered---so retaking is advisable, just make sure you do good. :) (I retook 3 classes, including Chem 1, and got into all my top schools)

Retook all of my pre-reqs to make sure I got a 4.0 pre-req GPA (highest grade attempted). Got accepted into my top choice school (top 10) along with other ranked programs across the US. It doesn't hurt at all to retake and schools will take everything into account on your application. I retook classes because I did not feel that saying "I was not a great student in undergrad but now I'm ready for the next level" would be genuine when my application didn't show it academically