Retaking Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to retake some classes since my school requires the classes to be within 5 years. I made A's and B's in most of the classes. If I somehow I made a lower grade the second time around, do you think the pharmacy school would frown upon that? Also, if the grades are different, do they take the average of the 2 grades or the most recent one when calculating the GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I'm not sure what pharm schools will think if your retake grades are lower.
However, I know pharm schools (majority of them anyway, someone please correct me if I'm wrong ;) ) DO NOT take the average of two grades. They will consider both of your grades so in a way it's kind of like 2 seperate classes. But I'm pretty sure they will see if your grades improved.
With that said, I guess unless you are confident that you can get a higher grade, or unless the grade is really bad, I wouldn't retake it..

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I have to retake a class I made an A in because I took the class 10 years ago. My pharmacy school requires that most of the prerequisites be within 5 years of when I apply for pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just try your best! If you earned an A before (even if it was 10 years ago) I'm sure you can do it again :)

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I have to retake a class I made an A in because I took the class 10 years ago. My pharmacy school requires that most of the prerequisites be within 5 years of when I apply for pharmacy school.

Can you request an exemption? When I applied to pharmacy school I had numerous courses that were about 7 to 10 years old. I just emailed or called the schools to ask if there was anything I could do to avoid retaking them. One told me to write a letter explaining my situation and tell them which courses were old. Plus, I had to tell them when and where I took the courses and what I have been doing since I took those courses. They allowed me to do this prior to turning in my application. They went ahead and accepted my old courses and I was eventually accepted in their pharmacy program.

Another school told me to just submit my application and a letter of explanation asking for my old courses to be accepted, along with the application fee. They told me when my application is reviewed then they would decide if my courses would be accepted or not. Needless to say I did not want to pay the application fee before knowing if my courses would be accepted so I didn't apply to that school.