Oct 1, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
I wanted to establish a support thread for those of us who have not done so well in a required course (or courses)...

I had a good undergrad GPA (science major, but not pre-vet) so I have had to take pre-req courses as a post-bacc. I have struggled immensely with organic chem. I know this does not reflect well on me, I assume post-baccs are expected to have higher grades. Successful applicant stats do not reveal much information about re-taking courses. So, I was wondering if this was a common occurrence. Also what would you consider the threshold for re-taking courses- do c's merit a retake?

Please feel free to post any information that is helpful to this subject- what schools are good about replacing grades/ which ones aren't, how did you succeed the second time around?, does re-taking a course at a community college look bad, etc. etc. etc.?

laitmanvet

c/o 2015 - now interning it
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Veterinarian
I retook 1 course while in undergrad. At my school if we received a D or F and we re-took the course only the new grade would be factored into our GPA. So my D would still remain on the transcript and show that I already took the course, but only my higher grade (B+) would count towards the GPA calculation.

I don't think I would have taken the course again if I had gotten a C, so its probably better that I nearly failed it. Its been almost 4 yrs since I re-took it and I can still regurgitate some of the material. I had a friend who was doing really poorly one semester and decided to drop out and then re-enroll...so basically the semester didn't ever happen and never appeared on her transcripts. (I don't really recommend this)

I knew other people undergrad who also re-took courses, several of the people I knew in orgo were taking it a second time. So, I don't think its uncommon.

LittleWiz

Transitioning..
Jul 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I was recently rejected from KSU and I e-mailed someone about what I could do to better my application for next year's cycle. She suggested that I retake any pre-req courses in which I received a 'C'. In other words, I think (most) schools consider an applicant competitive if he/she has 'A's' and 'B's' in most pre-req courses.

I'm in the same boat as you, I found out yesterday that I need to repeat Organic Chem II. I feel your pain.
As someone who has already repeated Physics II, the second time around is much easier!

Some schools average the grades for repeated classes. And I think some (don't quote me on this) will take the most recent grade.

Hope that provided some help.

Good luck to you!

UUprevet

5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2010
Georgia
Status
Veterinary Student
I just completed my fall semester of Junior year and found out recently that I got a D in anatomy and physiology, besides this one D, I got a C in O chem II, but everything else is As and Bs.... does anyone know if this is a deal breaker?
I still need to take physics II, Biochem, genetics and micro biology and don't know if I will have time to retake it before fall 2010 (when I apply). I have an internship abroad over the summer so that option is out. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I just completed my fall semester of Junior year and found out recently that I got a D in anatomy and physiology, besides this one D, I got a C in O chem II, but everything else is As and Bs.... does anyone know if this is a deal breaker?
I still need to take physics II, Biochem, genetics and micro biology and don't know if I will have time to retake it before fall 2010 (when I apply). I have an internship abroad over the summer so that option is out. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Most schools require a C or better in all pre-reqs, so I would guess you're going to need to retake A&P if it is one. The C is NOT a deal-breaker if you keep all the rest of your prereq grades at A's and B's. Plenty of people have gotten in with multiple C's on their transcripts, so don't despair!

Dec 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I am also a returning student and had to take pre reqs after obtaining my first degree.

I retook stat because I recieved a D previously and didn't really need to retake it until deciding to apply to vet school.

I took the first semester of OChem - lecture and lab - during the summer - was VERY difficult to stay on top of it and I recived a C in the lecture but an A in the lab. I decided to retake the lecture the following fall - 2 reasons - I didn't really like the C and I also didn't feel like I was able to retain the info because it was presented so quickly - recieved a B+ the second go around.

What i've heard about retaking - some schools (Purdue I know for sure) averages the 2 classes rather than taking the highest score. Not sure exactly what everyone does - many of them will let you know on their websites.

Some advice I've heard about retaking is that Cs are not bad grades and have 1 or 2 isn't a terrible thing and retaking them may not be worth the time or money.

Dec 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I would also say you will need to retake A&P - but the C in OChem isn't terrible.

Dec 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I heard that you need above a 3.0 gps to get into vet school?

I have a 3.0 for my bio degree at my cc........this is making me nervous

all my science courses have been B- to B+ this last semester was calculus which was an A

any advice? thank you