Retaking MCAT: apply this year or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geronimo_SK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my MCAT score back today. Scored abysmally, well under 500. I thought at least a 500 was possible but clearly I did not study well enough. Took that MCAT a week after my junior year finished, which was not a good idea. I have already submitted my primary application, still hasn't been verified. I only sent the application to my state school so far. I figured I have two options:

1) Study my ass off a whole month and retake the MCAT on July 22. Issue with that may be I would get the score back until August, which is when I would start adding more schools to my application. Would this be too late? I feel a month is not enough and may not be too much improvement.

2) Withdraw my application. Study the whole summer, take the MCAT late in 2016 or early in 2017. Then just re-apply next year. At least here my senior year would be included to bump my gpa up even more.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I'm feeling so depressed right now, I don't even know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the smartest thing would be option number two because then you could apply when you know your MCAT score so you can make informed decisions about your school list, which could increase your chances and save you money (but of course I am not a pre med advisor this is just what I would do) and like you said if you kill it next year you could bump up your GPA which would increase your chances even more!

do you mind me asking how you studied for the MCAT the first time? Either way my advice would be to focus more on practice passages when you are studying the second time because I too took the MCAT twice and did much better the second time by practicing passages instead of just focusing on knowing content

THIS is why it is best to have your MCAT score in hand before you apply. Take as long as you need to study to get a MUCH better score. Don't even think about trying to rush it to apply this year. Take your time. Wait until next year, or beyond if necessary. You already have one bad MCAT, don't rush and get another.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the smartest thing would be option number two because then you could apply when you know your MCAT score so you can make informed decisions about your school list, which could increase your chances and save you money (but of course I am not a pre med advisor this is just what I would do) and like you said if you kill it next year you could bump up your GPA which would increase your chances even more!

do you mind me asking how you studied for the MCAT the first time? Either way my advice would be to focus more on practice passages when you are studying the second time because I too took the MCAT twice and did much better the second time by practicing passages instead of just focusing on knowing content

I did TPR and AAMC FL practice tests and scored around 500 average. I mainly used TPR practice books, but I was so focused on doing well my Junior year, studying for the MCAT was not a priority. I should have practiced reading passages more instead of simply knowing facts and information.

I think I am going to withdraw my application and re-apply next year. I really don't have the motivation to cram for this test again for a month. Two questions:

1) Next year, how will medical schools look at my two MCAT scores? Assuming I show major improvement, will they look at my 2nd attempt?

2) My letter of recommendations have been sent in already and I'm not sure what to do with them now. Should I email them and ask them to hold on to it for next year? It seems awkward doing that...

that is literally exactly what happened to me when I took the MCAT the first time so I 100% relate.

and as for the 2 MCATs thing I am applying right now so I will let you know next spring haha & for letters of recommendation I would probably just talk to the professors and let them know you will be asking them for the letter again next year, and ask them if you can use the same letter.