retaking MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubbaWub

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Kaplan course and was averaging a 33 on the 7 practice MCATS. When I took the actual MCAT i got a 25. I think it may have been partially a fluke and partially because I should have taken AAMC practice tests. Does anyone have any advice how long I should study before I retake the MCAT again and how I should study? I would still like to apply this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

please take the AAMC practice exams. they are a MUCH better predictor. As a princeton review tutor, I can say that TPR (and probly kaplan too) do not give a **** about you.

some of the kaplan exams are just terrible, the first 5 are ok if you use them as q banks

I took a Kaplan course and consistantly scored higher on the Kaplan exams than the AMCAS. I starting only taking AMCAS practice tests about two months before the real thing (May 28, still waiting for my score). The first two I took were bad (28/29). But then my score went back up. The format/questions are different between Kaplan and AMCAS, this probably was part of your problem, also Kaplan curve is much more lenient.

I took the Kaplan course and was averaging a 33 on the 7 practice MCATS. When I took the actual MCAT i got a 25. I think it may have been partially a fluke and partially because I should have taken AAMC practice tests. Does anyone have any advice how long I should study before I retake the MCAT again and how I should study? I would still like to apply this cycle.

I was in the same boat as you last year. I only did 5 Kaplan FLs and ended up with the same score as you. When did you last take your exam? Depending on that, you'll know how much you need to study. If you took it a year ago, then you'll probably have to go over content once again. But if you just took it, then you should focus mainly on the flash cards and summary sheets and do more practice tests. I am going to start doing AAMC practice exams before I retake on Aug 6th.