Retaking Orgo II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvss123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking orgoII (which I got a D in), its 3 semester hours (so 1 semester long) and I am taking it at a different institution. I was just wondering if the new grade I receive will be averaged into the old one (so lets say I receive an A when i retake, will this be averaged with the D (resulting in a B)) or will it count as if I was just taking a whole new course (the A would be an entire different grade with the D still on my transcript)??

I called aadsas and the person didnt give me a straight up answer. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

I am retaking orgoII (which I got a D in), its 3 semester hours (so 1 semester long) and I am taking it at a different institution. I was just wondering if the new grade I receive will be averaged into the old one (so lets say I receive an A when i retake, will this be averaged with the D (resulting in a B)) or will it count as if I was just taking a whole new course (the A would be an entire different grade with the D still on my transcript)??

I called aadsas and the person didnt give me a straight up answer. Thanks:)

Both will be reported.

If it makes you feel better, you can think of it as both being "averaged" into a 6 credit class. Your A and D of 3 credits each will become a B of 6 credits!!!

yeah aadsas will count both the D and your new grade equally. It kind of sucks because I went through the same thing with ochem II (a D first time then retook and got an A) and the university calculated only the retake in my gpa so my aadsas gpa was noticeably lower. but a D in ochem surely won't fly with dschools. good luck with the retake

Members don't see this ad :)
okay so i spoke to another representative from aadsas and this person told me that the new grade does not get averaged out to a B of 6 credits.. the A would actually show up as a whole new grade (so as if it was any other extra course that I were to take)... so on my transcript, i would have a D of 3 credits and an A of 3 credits!

but if thats the case then Erhatstil, why did ur aadsas gpa go down (shouldnt it go up)??

okay so i spoke to another representative from aadsas and this person told me that the new grade does not get averaged out to a B of 6 credits.. the A would actually show up as a whole new grade (so as if it was any other extra course that I were to take)... so on my transcript, i would have a D of 3 credits and an A of 3 credits!

but if thats the case then Erhatstil, why did ur aadsas gpa go down (shouldnt it go up)??

The poster above didn't mean that the scores are physically averaged by your school or aadsas. They are reported separately, but you can think of them as being averaged out to a B.

His aadsas GPA went down because his school only used his retake grade to calculate his overall GPA, whereas AADSAS uses all grades, including the first attempt, to calculate GPA.

I got a D in Orgo II the first time around, so I know your pain. I retook and got in, and I think the best thing you can do to make up for it is to get at least 19-20 on Ochem in the DAT. During my interviews when I was asked about it I was able to show my DAT scores in Ochem, and say that I clearly did learn the material, and they seemed to take that as a good answer.

my aadsas gpa was lower than my university gpa because aadsas averaged the two, while the university only counted the retake.

I got B- in orgo 1 so I took it again to get an A. I was hoping to erase B- :(