Retaking Orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastamark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I want to first thank everyone for their help and input. I would have quit from frustration brought on by a lack of info if not for you guys.

I will be retaking Orgo I this summer followed by Orgo II(first time taking). If you guys don't remember I mentioned I got an F the first time due to absence(3 weeks) and family problems. I found out that the F will still be on my transcript at my college but the new grade will be used for the GPA. Will this F on my transcript hurt me considerably? I know people have retaken Ds and C-s but I haven't seen F anywhere on this post. I almost fear that was the end of me. Will the Adcoms even see my transcript or is this done by aacom and the latest grade sent.? I know this is probably a redundant post, but I need peace of mind. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

mastamark said:
Hello all,

I want to first thank everyone for their help and input. I would have quit from frustration brought on by a lack of info if not for you guys.

I will be retaking Orgo I this summer followed by Orgo II(first time taking). If you guys don't remember I mentioned I got an F the first time due to absence(3 weeks) and family problems. I found out that the F will still be on my transcript at my college but the new grade will be used for the GPA. Will this F on my transcript hurt me considerably? I know people have retaken Ds and C-s but I haven't seen F anywhere on this post. I almost fear that was the end of me. Will the Adcoms even see my transcript or is this done by aacom and the latest grade sent.? I know this is probably a redundant post, but I need peace of mind. :oops:

They will see all your grades--you have to enter all classes and the grades you received (including retakes). I had Fs on my transcript for my freshman year of college when I was going for my associates degree, but they were in math and english, I also had 2 Ds (computers, and sociology). I did shape up, however, for that degree before I had even put thoughts into action about going to med school. I continued the degree after I shaped up getting A 4.0 each semester until I finished it. I went back for my bachelors (totally different degree) and have maintained a 4.0 throughout including prereqs and upper level science courses. Of course, I did retake the above mentioned courses. I was asked about my poor performance my freshman year at only one interview and I was still accepted. I think my dramatic upward trend is what did it for me. I'm glad I was "forgiven" for my past mistakes.

Good Luck to you!

retaking it will help... plus you could write a sentance or 2 in your personal essay explaining what happened. They know we are all human and hard times do hit.

Good luck.. work hard from here. You can make it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Raven Feather said:
I'm glad I was "forgiven" for my past mistakes.

Good Luck to you!

You are not kidding. I always wanted to go to medical but thought it was over after I had a bad start to college. Now I am thinking I may have an above average GPA, have to pull out a couple more As to do that. :thumbup:

Amy B said:
retaking it will help... plus you could write a sentance or 2 in your personal essay explaining what happened. They know we are all human and hard times do hit.

Good luck.. work hard from here. You can make it :)

I wouldnt even mention it in my personal statement. Its already going to be on the transcript, there is no need whatsoever to waste space on the PS to bring attention to a blemish.

If they care to know about it, they will ask at interview time.

I disagree... As the premed society president at my undergrad school i had the opportunity to meet with many director's of admissions.. This topic came up many times..... they all said the same thing. They said they look at an application, if there is a bad mark then they go to the application essay to see what the applicant said about it. If they see a short matter of fact statement about it, then they move on. If they dont see anything, they all said it makes them wonder why the applicant had that happen and why they didnt clarify it in their essay. Now keep in mind we are not talking about an occasional C on teh transcript. But getting a F will raise eyebrows and it is better to say what's up in a short statement up front in the essay. Just my 2 cents.

hey I had problems with orgo as well and I'll tell you what my situation was and perhaps it could help you in some way: I transferred schools mid year my sophmore year, I had taken Orgo I at my first school and received a B+. After transferring and starting Orgo II I fell way behind because the curriculum was different (I already did some of the stuff in Orgo I at my last school and there were other things that I hadn't yet done that they assumed that I had) and the whole transfer process of meeting new friends in a new environment. So instead of failing I dropped at the last minute and decided to take both orgo I again, now at my new school, and orgo II. I got a C+ in orgo I (a full letter grade lower than my first orgo I grade) and a C+ in orgo II. I did not mention anything about this in my personal statement, however I did make it a point to mention why I transferred and how the change was difficult. I interviewed at 5 schools before making my decision and all five of them brought up orgo and asked several questions about it. I had a well scripted answer and got into all five schools. So my advice to you, you said that there was a circumstance that affected the outcome of your grades, mention the circumstance and how you were able to overcome it in your personal statement but don't mention orgo specifically. And when it comes time for interviews, make sure you'll be able to tackle any question that has do to with the situation without hesitation and with confidence. Good luck and don't worry about it too much, if anything, just make up for it by doing better in other areas such as do better in other classes and/or shadow another D.O. etc.

P.S. sorry so long

h00d314 said:
hey I had problems with orgo as well and I'll tell you what my situation was and perhaps it could help you in some way: I transferred schools mid year my sophmore year, I had taken Orgo I at my first school and received a B+. After transferring and starting Orgo II I fell way behind because the curriculum was different (I already did some of the stuff in Orgo I at my last school and there were other things that I hadn't yet done that they assumed that I had) and the whole transfer process of meeting new friends in a new environment. So instead of failing I dropped at the last minute and decided to take both orgo I again, now at my new school, and orgo II. I got a C+ in orgo I (a full letter grade lower than my first orgo I grade) and a C+ in orgo II. I did not mention anything about this in my personal statement, however I did make it a point to mention why I transferred and how the change was difficult. I interviewed at 5 schools before making my decision and all five of them brought up orgo and asked several questions about it. I had a well scripted answer and got into all five schools. So my advice to you, you said that there was a circumstance that affected the outcome of your grades, mention the circumstance and how you were able to overcome it in your personal statement but don't mention orgo specifically. And when it comes time for interviews, make sure you'll be able to tackle any question that has do to with the situation without hesitation and with confidence. Good luck and don't worry about it too much, if anything, just make up for it by doing better in other areas such as do better in other classes and/or shadow another D.O. etc.

P.S. sorry so long

I got the same exact grades in Ochem I and Ochem II as you, but the difference is that I did not have any extenuating circumstances like you did. I simply did not put in enough time to the subject that I should have. How would you recommend talking about this if it were to come up in an interview, which it probably will since you mentioned that you were asked about it at all of your interviews.

bbas said:
I simply did not put in enough time to the subject that I should have. How would you recommend talking about this if it were to come up in an interview.

I doubt anyone will ask you about 2 C+'s but if they do:

You just gave an honest answer which is what the interviewers want to hear. Hopefully you can point to increasing grade trend, higher performance on the retaken class, higher performance on similar upper level science classes, or MCAT scores to support you have turned things around.

Amy B said:
I disagree... As the premed society president at my undergrad school i had the opportunity to meet with many director's of admissions.. This topic came up many times..... they all said the same thing. They said they look at an application, if there is a bad mark then they go to the application essay to see what the applicant said about it. If they see a short matter of fact statement about it, then they move on. If they dont see anything, they all said it makes them wonder why the applicant had that happen and why they didnt clarify it in their essay. Now keep in mind we are not talking about an occasional C on teh transcript. But getting a F will raise eyebrows and it is better to say what's up in a short statement up front in the essay. Just my 2 cents.

I disagree. We just had several medical school admissions directors speak with a group of us from Harvard, GW, Dartmouth and NJ and they all said to treat your personal statement like a first date; don't air all of your dirty laundry!

They said there will be plenty time to be splainin' yourself on your secondary essays and your interview. As long as you have made improvements, no need to focus your personal statement, or any part of your application, on faults.

Hope this will make you feel better...I took O-chem my freshman year and did not do so well. I re-took it my senior year and got the highest grade in the class. This came up several times during my open file interviews, and it was basically shrugged off by the interviewers. I was accepted to every school I interviewed at. Just show the school that you can learn the material, and be honest about why you did not do so well the first time.
This may be off topic, but I would not suggest taking this class over the summer. You will need to know this subject well for the MCAT, and the few short weeks it is offered during summer school will likely cause more stress/cramming than learning. Just my .02

If I were you I would include it in your personal statement- maybe not directly--but something about how you had academic difficulties due to the family situation and that you LEARNED about time management and juggling priorities, etc... turn it into a learning experience. And if your grades are solid from here on out I wouldn't worry about it--med schools really look for trends rather than single grades.

PS- Just get through O Chem and Physics and you'll be fine! IMO organic chem and physics are harder than any class in med school concept wise!

Good luck!