Retaking the GRE- is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnh507

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm re-applying to PT schools this cycle after failing to get in last year (probably mostly due to lack of preparation for what all the application process requires and getting apps in late), and am trying to do everything I can to strengthen my applications. I hadn't really thought about retaking the GRE though, as it was probably the strongest part of my applications- 168v/158q. However, I didn't study for it at all so could probably improve the quantitative significantly with better preparation, and I want to do absolutely everything I can to maximize my chances, so was wondering if it could be worthwhile at all to retake it? Any/all opinions welcome. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so- most schools look for a 300 total score, which you've more than surpassed. They also tend to focus more on verbal than quantitative, so you're good there. What's your GPA? If you have any pre-reqs with a C or lower, than you should focus your efforts on retaking those. Also make sure you have enough observation hours/settings and good letters of rec.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming your AW score was above a 4.0, which I'm guessing it was since you got a 168V, retaking it is not going to improve your chances.

What were your cumulative and pre-req GPAs?

They also tend to focus more on verbal than quantitative, so you're good there.

Depends on the school. This is true at many, but there are also a lot of places where each score is weighted equally when ranking applicants, and others where only the combined V+Q score is used. Schools vary quite widely in how they utilize the GRE score and in how much weight it is given. With that said, I've certainly heard of V and AW being more important than Q, and I've heard of them all being equal, but I've never heard of Q being the more important score.

Reactions: 1 user
My AW score actually was only a 4.0, most likely because I have a huge problem with writing timed essays quickly and only finished about half of each one :/ As to my GPA, it's 3.75 cumulative with the last 60hrs significantly higher (at least 3.9). I have about 200 or so observation/volunteer hours, but most (150) were in one setting, so I'm currently working on getting some hours in more varied practices.

Is it possible that an AW of 4.0 would hurt me?

Don't worry about your GRE too much, you'll be fine. The vast majority of people who get into PT school have a 4.0AW score.

No.

Jesus, you scored almost a near perfect in one section and 71% on the other.

Your question is the equivalent of a 105lbs girl asking if she should lose any more weight... just.. why?

This is all in jest :) you have great scores! I would focus on what classes you used as pre-reqs. Maybe some were too old... or not a proper fit. If you can't get in with your Cum GPA and those GRE scores then it was either your pre-reqs or that your application was incomplete.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not retake your GRE. But I would turn a critical eye to the rest of your application. From what you've shared, your stats seem fine. What is your pre req GPA? Did you get interviews at a lot of schools and then get rejected or no interviews at all? Did you carefully go through all the admissions requirements at each school to make sure you didn't miss anything? Have you called the schools to ask for feedback?

You're joking right? You were almost perfect on verbal. Give yourself a pat on the back and focus on the rest of your application.

Your scores are very competitive. don't waste your time retaking the GRE.