Retaking the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teezik98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My MCAT score is 510 (128/123/129/130). My CARS is really low and I'm wondering if it is worth retaking given the screenings schools do. I definitely want to apply this cycle and I'm not sure if it is worth studying instead of focusing on apps. I'd ideally like to stay in California, but am not banking on that. For context, I am ESL, have solid clinical hours and extracurriculars, scientific publications pending. sGPA 3.9 and cGPA even higher

Pls advise, I'm extremely stuck

Members don't see this ad.

Are you from a background that is considered under-represented (hispanic or african american) in medicine? If by ESL you mean english as a second language, then I think the low CARS score will be considered in that context, given the strong GPA and other subsection scores. Though not the best CARS score, your academic performance otherwise is fairly strong.

Are you from a background that is considered under-represented (hispanic or african american) in medicine? If by ESL you mean english as a second language, then I think the low CARS score will be considered in that context, given the strong GPA and other subsection scores. Though not the best CARS score, your academic performance otherwise is fairly strong.
I’m middle eastern, so I am not technically considered under-represented in medicine. English is my second language and I will be putting my ethnicity as other on the application, but I still don’t know if that is enough to explain the low CARS. I’m having a hard time deciding if the time and effort I’ll put into retaking is worth it given that I did do well on the other sections and I’m also working on the personal statement. I just don’t want the CARS score the thing to be holding me back

Apply broadly, and you’ll be fine. CARS is definitely challenging to ESL students, so there’s no guarantee your CARS score will improve (unless you know you skipped two sections due to bad timing).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Like reapplying to medical school, retaking the MCAT does not inherently look bad. That said, you should strive to take the MCAT as few times as possible.

For that reason, each time that you retake the MCAT, you should study diligently in order to meaningfully raise your score, which will demonstrate your commitment to becoming a physician and your determination to improve your application profile. If you’re able to show an appreciable score jump from one test to the next, the majority of medical schools won’t see having retaken the MCAT as an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work with a lot of students on CARS who have English as a second or third language. It is really tough to improve and takes a lot of time. There are definitely strategies that can help hone one’s approach but they take time. There’s a reason why CARS is the hardest section to improve - regardless of native language.

Your other sections scores are excellent. On your AMCAS you will be asked about languages you speak and will be able to indicate what was used in your home (native language). This will help provide context for your cars score. I do not anticipate that this will be a significant impediment to your application.

Hi everyone! My MCAT score is 510 (128/123/129/130). My CARS is really low and I'm wondering if it is worth retaking given the screenings schools do. I definitely want to apply this cycle and I'm not sure if it is worth studying instead of focusing on apps. I'd ideally like to stay in California, but am not banking on that. For context, I am ESL, have solid clinical hours and extracurriculars, scientific publications pending. sGPA 3.9 and cGPA even higher

Pls advise, I'm extremely stuck
do not retake i got a 123 on cars and got 4 MD As