retaking/tutoring to prepare for orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryann462

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,
I still have to take organic chemistry for my pre med requirements. I never took it at my school because I was scared to death of the reputation and did not want my gpa affected if i did bad. Im still really nervous about taking the class however. So my question is should I get a tutor and try to learn/study the class on my own and then take the class at a 4 year university or should i take orgo at my local community college and then retake it at a 4 year university?

I don't see any point in intentionally taking organic twice. Besides, if you do well at the community college, why would you transfer it anyway? Having community college courses isn't going to go against you regardless of what you've been told.

Do not let the reputation of organic scare you. Find a good tutor offered by the university, concentrate on the class, and pull out an A! I find organic significantly easier than both Gen Chem and Physics!

I totally agree with the guy above (too lazy to quote, haha). I took genchem in high school (transferred the AP credits to college), physics 1&2 sophomore year of college. I was terrified of ochem because its a whole new ball of wax (since you cant really build on knowledge from genchem from this, although there is some integration, its really a whole new set of rules) and what people have said about how horrible it is, etc. etc. i had planned on keeping a clean "A" record in all my other prereq's for premed just to allow room for that "C" in orgo, if it happened. What actually ended up happening, was that the terror of the orgo subject made me study my ass off and I pulled A's in both orgo 1&2. This is by no means an effort to toot my own horn, I'm just saying that it definitely can be done. I had no background knowledge of this at all (as with most people who go into orgo 1), and just went in knowing I would have to work hard. Annddd by the end, I realized that the class was definitely not as hard as physics (in my opinion), especially physics 2, haha. that class just blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.