Return to virtual?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaction mechanisms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been talks of some schools going virtual again in light of the recent omicron scare. Can anyone confirm if their school has shifted back to virtual or is in the process of doing so (meetings to discuss, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

My school (MD northeast) is virtual first 2 weeks.

Midwesterner here. We had our morning classes in-person with a zoom option. Afternoon classes are gradually being moved over to zoom. No official announcement as of yet, but I fear that it's coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
We’re in our dedicated period, but a couple weeks ago we had a week of stuff that was supposed to be in person between rotations and dedicated, and they switched it to virtual for omicron. So I’m guessing the class still in preclerkship will probably have a lot more virtual stuff. The class about to start rotations is going through their intro week and it was virtual today, but we also got 7 inches of snow so hard to say which was the reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Reinstated mask mandate here, no announced plans for return to only virtual learning for preclinical - would be very surprised if preclinical was returned to virtual only

Southern MD school, we are virtual for the 1st week back for now

Reinstated mask mandate here, no announced plans for return to only virtual learning for preclinical - would be very surprised if preclinical was returned to virtual only

I know you're stating facts and not giving your opinion but there is no reason preclinical can't be done virtually so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Reactions: 1 users
I know you're stating facts and not giving your opinion but there is no reason preclinical can't be done virtually so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
I’m surprised they didn’t have a mask requirement. We’ve required masks on campus since the pandemic began.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m surprised they didn’t have a mask requirement. We’ve required masks on campus since the pandemic began.

I am too but figured I'd be going down the political rabbit hole if I said it.

Reactions: 1 users
Many allopathic schools these days have hundreds of clinical hours (clinical skills, clinic assignments, and even rotations or mini-rotations in both M1 and M2). These things can't be done online, although you could argue they could be skipped

Skip them for MS 1. The MS 2s can practice clinical skills in groups small enough that social distancing wouldn't be a problem. And/or each MS 2 gets one partner and they practice together.

I'm on dedicated right now, but the M1's at my medical school are mostly online right now-- only anatomy lab and clinical skills are in person.

My school is doing 3 weeks virtual and then returning on a hybrid model for a few weeks.

Update on mine we went virtual for 2 weeks and will be back in person next week (Southern MD)

Midwest school here, first two weeks have been virtual except for anatomy and clinical docs, masks has always been an enforcement regardless of what stage of the pandemic we were in but that’s likely also due to the fact that Illinois has a hard mask mandate for every indoor building.

School is also requiring booster shots. They are starting a mix of in person again next week for core cases and some zoom. Most people prefer the zoom format for everything but docs and anatomy lab actually as far as I can see.