Returning from Australia to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is why I advise students from North America interested in Australian medical schools who want to practice in the US to avoid Aussie programs and focus on US DO schools. I think students who are able to get into Australian programs would be competitive for DO programs in the US. The DO is accepted in Canada.

excellent advise!!

Members don't see this ad.

u gotta realize many international grads from Oz will pretty much have no place to go except the US where there's at least some decent chance at some residency program. there's no internship space in Oz. and basically impossible to go back to Canada for Canadians.... maybe i just ain't sure what you're referring to when you said "buttkissing", but at times you sounds a bit biased

Will- are you in Australia?

Right now there are plenty of internship positions for international grads, and quite a few easy to get into residencies. In Australia like in the rest of the rest of the world, there are difficult to get into residencies, but the difference is that since you are an Australian grad you will still have an equal chance at getting into those programs as another grad would. In the US you will only get the residencies left over once the US grads have had their pick.

I wouldn't dismiss Australia until you actually get into the working world.

Also the DO program is only recognised in Ontario, but not the rest of Canada.

Hi everyone,
I'm about to start my 4th year of my 5-year undergrad med degree in Australia. I'd really like to do my residency in Canada (Alberta if possible) with the future intention of migrating there.
Is it a lost hope, is it worth the huge investment of time and money for what seems like an impossible chance for IMGs when I have a pretty straightforward path through to a fellowship training program set out for me here at home in Australia?
I do have a few small advantages (well, hopefully), would any of the following count for much?
1. About 5 years ago I did 6 months of secondary schooling in Newfoundland
2. I have family there who would be willing to support me in any way
3. I'm incredibly young, I started med school straight after high school and will be 21 when I graduate as a doctor
4. In my fifth year of med school I can do an elective overseas and I can complete this in Canada
5. My long distance partner (we don't quite qualify as common law partners) was born in and has never left Alberta
6. I am quite good at French

Other than this, I realise that even taking the time to do the MCCEE, the NAC etc, it's a pretty hopeless case for me to dream of getting permanent residency to even apply for a residency postgrad training anywhere in Canada, isn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I'm about to start my 4th year of my 5-year undergrad med degree in Australia. I'd really like to do my residency in Canada (Alberta if possible) with the future intention of migrating there.
Is it a lost hope, is it worth the huge investment of time and money for what seems like an impossible chance for IMGs when I have a pretty straightforward path through to a fellowship training program set out for me here at home in Australia?
I do have a few small advantages (well, hopefully), would any of the following count for much?
1. About 5 years ago I did 6 months of secondary schooling in Newfoundland
2. I have family there who would be willing to support me in any way
3. I'm incredibly young, I started med school straight after high school and will be 21 when I graduate as a doctor
4. In my fifth year of med school I can do an elective overseas and I can complete this in Canada
5. My long distance partner (we don't quite qualify as common law partners) was born in and has never left Alberta
6. I am quite good at French

Other than this, I realise that even taking the time to do the MCCEE, the NAC etc, it's a pretty hopeless case for me to dream of getting permanent residency to even apply for a residency postgrad training anywhere in Canada, isn't it?

Yeah I think so, you would need permanent residency in order to apply and even then you'd be an IMG which would be ridiculously competitive. Alberta requires separate provincial residency in order to apply for residency. If you got married to your partner you could get citizenship but clearly not something to force yourself into and even with citizenship you are in the queue with about 1000 other Canadians who did medicine overseas for maybe 100-200 spots.

Its much better to train in Australia and then apply to Canada for a fellowship if you are thinking of sub-specializing but if you aren't just apply to Canada after you become a consultant/GP. Canada loves GPs from other english speaking countries so you would have no problem immigrating afterwards.

Yeah I think so, you would need permanent residency in order to apply and even then you'd be an IMG which would be ridiculously competitive. Alberta requires separate provincial residency in order to apply for residency. If you got married to your partner you could get citizenship but clearly not something to force yourself into and even with citizenship you are in the queue with about 1000 other Canadians who did medicine overseas for maybe 100-200 spots.

Its much better to train in Australia and then apply to Canada for a fellowship if you are thinking of sub-specializing but if you aren't just apply to Canada after you become a consultant/GP. Canada loves GPs from other english speaking countries so you would have no problem immigrating afterwards.

Thank you so much, this was so helpful!

u gotta realize many international grads from Oz will pretty much have no place to go except the US where there's at least some decent chance at some residency program. there's no internship space in Oz. and basically impossible to go back to Canada for Canadians.... maybe i just ain't sure what you're referring to when you said "buttkissing", but at times you sounds a bit biased
The scaremongering has a long history indeed (Exhibit A, from 2008).