Reu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm applying to 3 or 4 REU's that I found on nsf's website. I was wondering if any of you have done them before or could tell me briefly what to expect if I get accepted into one. Also, if you know a good place to find them please let me know :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hi!
I applied to as many REU/research positions as possible last summer (summer before my senior year), because I really wanted to get experience at another institution before grad school. However, I didn't get in anywhere (even though I had decent prior research experience)...it seems like that process is more competitive than the actually phd application process, just because there are very few programs and tons of applicants (and I am definitely having more luck with the phd programs than I did with the summer research stuff!).

So definitely go for it, but know that you can still make everything work out even if you don't get a summer position! And also, if you aren't accepted anywhere, I recommend emailing a professor from a nearby university whose research interests match yours and volunteering to be a RA for them this summer (for probably at least 10hrs/week). I did that and it really strengthened my applications-- not only did I get to work with an amazing professor, but she wrote me a rec letter and I was invited to interview for the phd program at her university!

Just for reference--- I applied to University of Maryland, Oklahoma State, this APA summer program, and NIH/NIMH.

hi!
I applied to as many REU/research positions as possible last summer (summer before my senior year), because I really wanted to get experience at another institution before grad school. However, I didn't get in anywhere (even though I had decent prior research experience)...it seems like that process is more competitive than the actually phd application process, just because there are very few programs and tons of applicants (and I am definitely having more luck with the phd programs than I did with the summer research stuff!).

So definitely go for it, but know that you can still make everything work out even if you don't get a summer position! And also, if you aren't accepted anywhere, I recommend emailing a professor from a nearby university whose research interests match yours and volunteering to be a RA for them this summer (for probably at least 10hrs/week). I did that and it really strengthened my applications-- not only did I get to work with an amazing professor, but she wrote me a rec letter and I was invited to interview for the phd program at her university!

Just for reference--- I applied to University of Maryland, Oklahoma State, this APA summer program, and NIH/NIMH.

Thank you for the input! I appreciate it a lot. Yeah, I have noticed how selective they are. I would really like to get into one but if not I would like to do something else to help me get more research experience. So would asking to be an RA for that professor be called shadowing? I think I would really like to look into doing that. Or, I'm also looking to work at a hospital for the summer to get experience. Though I would have to be lucky for that to happen but I'm going to put my name in there and see what happens? So when you ask professors to be a volunteer RA, how exactly does that work? Do most say yes or is it hard to find one? thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! which ones are you applying for? I applied for Minessota already, and hope to do Arizona State. Its a shame some of them are not being funded this year :-[

hey! which ones are you applying for? I applied for Minessota already, and hope to do Arizona State. Its a shame some of them are not being funded this year :-[

I was going to apply to Arizona State but I just checked and their website says they are not getting funded :(

ya i just checked too, what a shame. Their program seemed awesome, with the other activities they had planned :-D