Quantcast

Reu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm applying to 3 or 4 REU's that I found on nsf's website. I was wondering if any of you have done them before or could tell me briefly what to expect if I get accepted into one. Also, if you know a good place to find them please let me know :) Thank you!

suerte

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
I applied to as many REU/research positions as possible last summer (summer before my senior year), because I really wanted to get experience at another institution before grad school. However, I didn't get in anywhere (even though I had decent prior research experience)...it seems like that process is more competitive than the actually phd application process, just because there are very few programs and tons of applicants (and I am definitely having more luck with the phd programs than I did with the summer research stuff!).

So definitely go for it, but know that you can still make everything work out even if you don't get a summer position! And also, if you aren't accepted anywhere, I recommend emailing a professor from a nearby university whose research interests match yours and volunteering to be a RA for them this summer (for probably at least 10hrs/week). I did that and it really strengthened my applications-- not only did I get to work with an amazing professor, but she wrote me a rec letter and I was invited to interview for the phd program at her university!

Just for reference--- I applied to University of Maryland, Oklahoma State, this APA summer program, and NIH/NIMH.

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
I applied to as many REU/research positions as possible last summer (summer before my senior year), because I really wanted to get experience at another institution before grad school. However, I didn't get in anywhere (even though I had decent prior research experience)...it seems like that process is more competitive than the actually phd application process, just because there are very few programs and tons of applicants (and I am definitely having more luck with the phd programs than I did with the summer research stuff!).

So definitely go for it, but know that you can still make everything work out even if you don't get a summer position! And also, if you aren't accepted anywhere, I recommend emailing a professor from a nearby university whose research interests match yours and volunteering to be a RA for them this summer (for probably at least 10hrs/week). I did that and it really strengthened my applications-- not only did I get to work with an amazing professor, but she wrote me a rec letter and I was invited to interview for the phd program at her university!

Just for reference--- I applied to University of Maryland, Oklahoma State, this APA summer program, and NIH/NIMH.

Thank you for the input! I appreciate it a lot. Yeah, I have noticed how selective they are. I would really like to get into one but if not I would like to do something else to help me get more research experience. So would asking to be an RA for that professor be called shadowing? I think I would really like to look into doing that. Or, I'm also looking to work at a hospital for the summer to get experience. Though I would have to be lucky for that to happen but I'm going to put my name in there and see what happens? So when you ask professors to be a volunteer RA, how exactly does that work? Do most say yes or is it hard to find one? thanks again!

The2abraxis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey! which ones are you applying for? I applied for Minessota already, and hope to do Arizona State. Its a shame some of them are not being funded this year :-[

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey! which ones are you applying for? I applied for Minessota already, and hope to do Arizona State. Its a shame some of them are not being funded this year :-[

I was going to apply to Arizona State but I just checked and their website says they are not getting funded :(

The2abraxis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ya i just checked too, what a shame. Their program seemed awesome, with the other activities they had planned :-D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.