reverse discrimination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oralskills said:
:sleep: !!! Do you think that Blacks and Hispanics are the only ones that have to "overcome all odds" against them? Do you assume that all white people and all asian people somehow sit on a perch where everything is fine? Give me a break!!! I grew up in a neighborhood where the only discrimination I faced came from Hispanics. The schools I come from are filled with hispanic teachers and staff. Even the government positions are filled with a majority of hispanic people. How can a hispanic person, growing up where I grew up, claim discrimination? The laws here are even set up so that an illegal immigrant has more rights than a American citizen. I quit my job recently and can't afford to buy health insurance for myself. Yet, an illegal immigrant can purchase health insurance for $20.

Just to let you know, I wasn't born here either. My parents worked hard to get out of a bad situation. While my parents were working long hours, I noticed that the neighbors around me, instead of doing something constructive, were breeding like rabbits. You shouldn't be able to have kids if you can't support them. Having affirmative action and other laws that support laziness only perpepuates an already flawed way of thinking. Get off your lazy asses and quit blaming everyone and everything!!! :mad:

This too me sounds like High class vs middle class vs low class argument. Forget race, if your middle class citizen your getting screwed either way. Opportunities only exist for high class and low class people. Who ends up payin the middle class citizen.

Members don't see this ad.

I strongly oppose Affirmitive Action. But:

Under Represented Minority communities need access to proper heath care just as anyone. I highly doubt, nor have I ever seen, many Asian graduates of any health profession go and set up practice in settings with a high percentage of URM families. If a URM with slightly lower stats takes the place of another applicant society as a whole may benefit at the expense of that well prepared applicant. URM must become RM. We are lucky to have no shortage of Asian or Caucasion doctors (or any Dr. practicing in our communities) that we need not complain.

paolorossifan said:
I strongly oppose Affirmitive Action. But:

Under Represented Minority communities need access to proper heath care just as anyone. I highly doubt, nor have I ever seen, many Asian graduates of any health profession go and set up practice in settings with a high percentage of URM families..

It is not true here in Houston. Many dental offices in low income areas are owned by Asian dentists. Those areas are heavily populated with Hispanics and Blacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
TravisP said:
At UT-Memphis, if your black your in. My bro goes there, and all the black students take "different tests" then the rest of the students. They get help on them and such. Wouldn't want to go to a black dentist from UT-Memphis.

Thats one for diversity! Really, blacks arn't diverse at all. How about Hungarians, Turks, Romanians and Finnish? Just because there white doesn't mean they arnt diverse.

<----- Romanian, and I have always felt like I was more diverse than most minority students. I have lived in 3 different countries damnit..that should count for something ;). I was upset when I didn't get the multi cultural scholarship at my undergrad institution, simply because i wasn't "colored" which is bs as all my friends who got the scholarship were pure Americans even if they did not have white colored skin. Anywhoo, back on topic ;).

paolorossifan said:
Under Represented Minority communities need access to proper heath care just as anyone.
How does having an URM doctor improve access? What's the problem with them going to a white (or whatever) doctor? My wife is white and she goes to an Indian doctor. I don't get it.

toofache32 said:
How does having an URM doctor improve access? What's the problem with them going to a white (or whatever) doctor? My wife is white and she goes to an Indian doctor. I don't get it.

There is nothing wrong at all about the situation you describe. Or any other combination for that matter, URM to non-URM doctors, vice versa. BUT....
In locations were many URM communities reside that have notorious working conditions it takes someone from that area to truly understand the need for medical access there. Im not talking about some Houston suburb. Im talking about downtown Detriot, Philly or any of the East L.A. neibourhoods. It is most lickely that a URM from these places will actually give back and practice here.