Discrimination against multi-depositors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalTrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where's the love? that's all I'm saying.

Members don't see this ad.

All right, it's one thing to deposit at every school you get in to like a tool, but your two top choices, or if you are holding out for a different school to accept you is a whole other story.

All right, it's one thing to deposit at every school you get in to like a tool, but your two top choices, or if you are holding out for a different school to accept you is a whole other story.

Totally agree. Are you planning on putting down multiple deposits?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apart from the waste of money, it just seems silly.

If you get accepted to multiple schools on Dec. 1st, you should already know which one you want to go to. Place your deposit and withdraw from the other. Cmon, you've at least had a month since your interview and prior to Dec. 1st to think about.

If you're waiting on another school, place the deposit on the top one you've been accepted to and then if the other school accepts you, put your deposit down there and withdraw from the previous one. Not that hard.

I just don't understand the people that freak out on Dec. 1st when they get into multiple schools like they've never thought that could ever possibly happen. It's ridiculous.

Thanks for providing the forum for my rant! ;) Maybe there's something I just don't understand about the multiple deposit thing.

so bragging about placing multiple deposits doesn't make you a tool??

Last edited:
hahaha just 'brush ya shoulders off'

People are going to disagree about it. It's usually the people that don't get in that b**ch about it. We all understand how they feel, however, its just the nature of the beast. All the 'top' candidates get their pick and if they want to pay more than one deposit, then by all means. It isn't as though they're cheating or somehow playing dirty. They're just playing the game.

I got into 2 schools and I still think it's a douche bag move. And it's not a "game", it's people's lives. However, this topic has been beaten to death on here so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

I got into 2 schools and I still think it's a douche bag move. And it's not a "game", it's people's lives. However, this topic has been beaten to death on here so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Many are depositing at their number 2,3, or 4s because they haven't heard from number 1.
- This is intelligent

Others are depositing at multiple schools.
- I personally think it is a dumb move, but they earned the acceptance and if they want to make a "donation" to the school that they will eventually have to cut (May 1st at the latest, the curtain goes up and the great Oz is revealed), that is their choice. I personally wouldn't do this because for the very fact that it would cause someone waiting prolonged agony.

Many are depositing at their number 2,3, or 4s because they haven't heard from number 1.
- This is intelligent

- I personally think it is a dumb move, but they earned the acceptance and if they want to make a "donation" to the school that they will eventually have to cut (May 1st at the latest, the curtain goes up and the great Oz is revealed), that is their choice. I personally wouldn't do this because for the very fact that it would cause someone waiting prolonged agony.

I agree with the bolded statement. If you're waiting to hear from your #1, deposit at #2 or #3. I don't think anyone would argue with that. I also completely agree with the second statement, so it seems that you and I see eye to eye on this whole situation.

Even the assistant dean of UF said at my interview today that she wished students would make up their minds faster so they can begin filling the seats and not make other kids wait. Basically by people holding multiple deposits, the school assumes that seat is taken, and if you were the next student on the list to be accepted, but they didn't have enough seats (or so they thought they didn't), they would send you a rejection letter....only to have some kid back out later on because he was holding multiple acceptances, thus opening that seat.

I understand holding on to a #2 OR #3 if you have yet to hear from #1, but everyone should have already known where they would go if accepted to all their top schools.

Other than a few random occurrences (waiting on a spouse's job, etc), there is absolutely no need to put down multiple deposits.

multiple deposits is definitely ok... you want to make sure you end up at the right place, and we've worked too hard to end up at the wrong place just bc someone things were being a "tool"

Members don't see this ad :)
- This is intelligent

agree. you only need to deposit at one school if you're still waiting for your #1 choice, not deposit at your 2nd, 3rd, AND 4th choices. your money will only go into the dean's drinking fund ;)

Multi depositers is exactly that MULTI-depositers!!

Dont start a stupid thread talking about discrimination against multi depositers and than say you only made one deposit until/if you here from your number one school. Thats 2 different things. And cowboy17 u really do seem like an overall tool from all the stuff i have seen you post so i would expect another response as i read above.

Why start this thread dentaltrain? U want an argument>?

Last edited:

Dont start a stupid thread talking about discrimination against multi depositers and than say you only made one deposit until/if you here from your number one school. Thats 2 different things. And cowboy17 u really do seem like an overall tool from all the stuff i have seen you post so i would expect another response as i read above.

Why start a thread dentaltrain? U want an argument>?

i kinda wondered the same thing when i saw it

I'm sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree that it adversely affects people's lives. If your life is revolving around getting into dental school, then you're in for a world of hurt and you need to get a grip. Life is full of disappointments and there isn't a person that doesn't have setbacks or failures. However, many things in life are based around a set of rules that we all have to abide. Such as, finishing all dental school requirements, scoring well on the dat, submitting application and interviewing well. These are all hoops we must jump through. Thus, its called 'playing the game'.

Really now? As far as I know, ALL of us on these forums want to make dentistry a LIFElong career, so having our lives (at the moment) revolve around getting into dental school is not something we need to "get a grip" on...it just so happens that it DOES have a big hold on our future lives.

I'm sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree that it adversely affects people's lives. If your life is revolving around getting into dental school, then you're in for a world of hurt and you need to get a grip. Life is full of disappointments and there isn't a person that doesn't have setbacks or failures. However, many things in life are based around a set of rules that we all have to abide. Such as, finishing all dental school requirements, scoring well on the dat, submitting application and interviewing well. These are all hoops we must jump through. Thus, its called 'playing the game'.

Really now? As far as I know, ALL of us on these forums want to make dentistry a LIFElong career, so having our lives (at the moment) revolve around getting into dental school is not something we need to "get a grip" on...it just so happens that it DOES have a big hold on our future lives.

BOOOOOOOOOOOM, HEADSHOT
....I couldn't resist. :laugh:
Sorry cowboy17, but victoria is right.

I say the extra money the schools get from multiple deposits should become scholarships for those that actually end up attending there. Who's with me?

If for some reason you think that there wont be more 'hoops' or guidlines in dental school or the rest of life, you are sadly mistaken and you need to reexamine what in the world you're getting yourself into. Life is just a big game. Have fun, enjoy it. You only get one shot.

Note: I did withdraw from all but one school so lets not make this
personal.

Lol wow thanks for the life lesson Dr. Phil! Not worth responding to your ridiculous comments.

If for some reason you think that there wont be more 'hoops' or guidlines in dental school or the rest of life, you are sadly mistaken and you need to reexamine what in the world you're getting yourself into. Life is just a big game. Have fun, enjoy it. You only get one shot.

Note: I did withdraw from all but one school so lets not make this personal.

You don't think people's lives revolve around which dental school they go to?? Are you kidding? What about people with a wife that works full-time, kids in school, a full-time job of their own, family, etc.? Relocating your entire family is a huge decision so knowing if you're in or which school you'll be going to ASAP is a big deal. People holding seats for no good reason delay these crucial decisions for those who may be in these situations. Just deposit at the top school that accepted you and then if a better choice picks you up later, deposit there and withdraw from the first school you deposited at. Simple.

Why start this thread dentaltrain? U want an argument>?

It's post-Dec 1st. Sales are down. I'm trying to help SDN get their ratings back up.