RFU AP, G-TOWN SMP, etc

Started by aks47
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aks47

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I was just wondering what post-bac programs are really looking...high GPAs or high MCATs. Here's my dilemma...I have a 3.7ish GPA (first 2 years of undergrad). I am planning on graduating in April 2006 with a 3 yr BSc (our school gives them out...the 4 year equivalent is an Honours degree BSc). Anyways, I wrote the MCATs and didn't do too well...mid 20 R.

What, do you think, post-bac programs care more about...your undergrad GPA (which is usually 2-3 years worth of work) or MCATs?(which is ONE day!!!)...lol, I am totally biased.

Do they have a specific weighting formula...for example, GPA is x% and MCAT is y%?

Thanks in advance,

-aks47
 
aks47 said:
Hey,

I was just wondering what post-bac programs are really looking...high GPAs or high MCATs. Here's my dilemma...I have a 3.7ish GPA (first 2 years of undergrad). I am planning on graduating in April 2006 with a 3 yr BSc (our school gives them out...the 4 year equivalent is an Honours degree BSc). Anyways, I wrote the MCATs and didn't do too well...mid 20 R.

What, do you think, post-bac programs care more about...your undergrad GPA (which is usually 2-3 years worth of work) or MCATs?(which is ONE day!!!)...lol, I am totally biased.

Do they have a specific weighting formula...for example, GPA is x% and MCAT is y%?

Thanks in advance,

-aks47

Programs like Rosalind Franklin's AP and Georgetown's SMP are more for people in the opposite situation, with a good MCAT but low GPA. I don't know about Rosalind Franklin, but for Georgetown you need at least a 27 MCAT.

These programs are very expensive, and they aren't really designed for people in your situation. What you need to do is bring up your MCAT. A review course like Kaplan or something would be a better investment because it is the MCAT that will hold you back.