RFU Secondary Formatting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I totally wouldn't mind not having the text wrap automatically and just going line by line George Washington-style if it's not to much trouble for you to create text fields for each line... you already got it to work for yours, though, so you shouldn't have to do all of that work just cause it doesn't work for some of us. I wish that the original form worked for everyone... I don't know what the deal is!! It's kind of too bad they put those lines in there in the first place... it would have been way easier if there was just a giant blank space!!

Members don't see this ad.

JennieUoA said:
I totally wouldn't mind not having the text wrap automatically and just going line by line George Washington-style if it's not to much trouble for you to create text fields for each line... you already got it to work for yours, though, so you shouldn't have to do all of that work just cause it doesn't work for some of us. I wish that the original form worked for everyone... I don't know what the deal is!! It's kind of too bad they put those lines in there in the first place... it would have been way easier if there was just a giant blank space!!
Dont worry its just a matter of copying and pasting correctly sized form fields for each line and renaming each of em. ill get em done by tonight.

braluk said:
Dont worry its just a matter of copying and pasting correctly sized form fields for each line and renaming each of em. ill get em done by tonight.

You are my favorite person in the whole world right now... thank you soooo much for helping us all out!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

JennieUoA said:
You are my favorite person in the whole world right now... thank you soooo much for helping us all out!! :)

braluk said:
hey i actually looked it again but i really dont know what the error is? for me i filled my entire box with characters and none of the words got cut out or anything. If thats the case, im not sure what to do. I might just go ahead and make individual lines for all of them, but that means that the words wont automatically wrap around, and you'll have to hit tab every time you get to teh end fo the line. let me know what you guys want.
Try changing the font of the essay textbox to Times New Roman, size 10.4. That get the lines pretty close to right (although not exactly perfect) for the whole box.

Use some lorem ipsum to check the spacing:
http://www.lipsum.com/

gapotts2003 said:
Right now he has it on auto...
right but doesn't the text end up running through lines when it's on auto? did for me...

gapotts2003 said:
It didn't when I tried it on his file and it doesn't on mine either.
Did you fill the entire box with text? at the top it looked ok, but after filling the entire box with text, near the bottom my words started running through the lines (the size was slightly off I think). I'll try again, but I thought that's what others were asking about...
EDIT: Isn't this why he was making an individual box for each line? Seemed like a lot of work but changing it to Times New Roman, 10.4 pt font seemed to do the trick and still let you have one big box to type in. I'm sure other font/size combinations would give the same, not perfect but functional result.

Johnny_one_eye said:
Did you fill the entire box with text? at the top it looked ok, but after filling the entire box with text, near the bottom my words started running through the lines (the size was slightly off I think). I'll try again, but I thought that's what others were asking about...

Yeah I saw what was happening but it seems to work for me at least now.

gapotts2003 said:
Yeah I saw what was happening but it seems to work for me at least now.
Well it appears as though 'auto' adjusts your font size depending on how 'full' your form text box is. So if you start to go over the size of the box, it chages your font size. So maybe you wrote just enough to make the lines work out, but I don't think everyone can do that. If you set a specific size as opposed to 'auto' you should be able to find one that fits (or pretty close).

Johnny_one_eye said:
Well it appears as though 'auto' adjusts your font size depending on how 'full' your form text box is. So if you start to go over the size of the box, it chages your font size. So maybe you wrote just enough to make the lines work out, but I don't think everyone can do that. If you set a specific size as opposed to 'auto' you should be able to find one that fits (or pretty close).

Right... If you go too far over then it screws things up. The max is about 3350 characters.

I've actually been playing around with the fonts and found the one that works best for me is helvetica, size 11. If anyone is having problems they should check to see if that works for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys changing the font? I'm typing it in word, and want to transfer it over (not done yet), but i have tried and everything goes through the lines. Changing the font in Word doesn't matter. How do you change it in Adobe? I just have Reader....does that mean i'm screwed and will have to write it out?

oh, i get it, character limit and if not, it resizes

braluk said:
Sorry i was deleting an old version and uploaded a new one...narc can you check to see if its all ok now?

the essay part is a little off, when it get's towards the last few lines it's hard to see the words, is there anything to fix that?

Thanks, by the way :)

prznpremed said:
the essay part is a little off, when it get's towards the last few lines it's hard to see the words, is there anything to fix that?

Thanks, by the way :)

maybe you're doing what i was doing and are writing too much...how many words/characters are you at? I cut back to 519 words and somewhere a little over 3000 characters or else the lines squished together.

braluk, you are awesome. Thank you! :D :thumbup:

C.P. Jones said:
maybe you're doing what i was doing and are writing too much...how many words/characters are you at? I cut back to 519 words and somewhere a little over 3000 characters or else the lines squished together.

braluk, you are awesome. Thank you! :D :thumbup:

thanks for responding. i'm actually at around 456 and towards the later parts it's unreadable because the lines run through my typing. honestly, how bad would it be to very neatly, print out the essay on a separate page and physically cut and paste it? It doesn't look that bad, any thoughts?

prznpremed said:
thanks for responding. i'm actually at around 456 and towards the later parts it's unreadable because the lines run through my typing. honestly, how bad would it be to very neatly, print out the essay on a separate page and physically cut and paste it? It doesn't look that bad, any thoughts?

That should work. I was considering doing the same thing. The only concern I had was to make it line up so it wasnt crooked. If you do do it let us know how its works out. Thanks!

I was changing the size using Adobe Professional (Tools -> Advanced Editing -> Text Field Tool, double click the box over the essay and go to the Appearance tab). I realize not everyone has Adobe Pro though, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to change the font.

@630670. I actually changed the Helvetica font size to 11.9 pt and it looks darn close to perfect with the line spacing. I tried 11 and it was still screwy for me at the bottom. I wonder why?

Also, once you set the actual font size, as opposed to auto, Adobe no longer resizes for you, so if your essay goes too long, a scroll bar appears. You'll have to shorten it so it fits within proper page size (i.e. no scrollbars). Here is a copy of the form with Helvetica 11.9pt font if anyone wants it:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/blackhll/j/RosalindFranklinSupplemental.pdf

Johnny_one_eye said:
I was changing the size using Adobe Professional (Tools -> Advanced Editing -> Text Field Tool, double click the box over the essay and go to the Appearance tab). I realize not everyone has Adobe Pro though, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to change the font.

@630670. I actually changed the Helvetica font size to 11.9 pt and it looks darn close to perfect with the line spacing. I tried 11 and it was still screwy for me at the bottom. I wonder why?

Also, once you set the actual font size, as opposed to auto, Adobe no longer resizes for you, so if your essay goes too long, a scroll bar appears. You'll have to shorten it so it fits within proper page size (i.e. no scrollbars). Here is a copy of the form with Helvetica 11.9pt font if anyone wants it:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/blackhll/j/RosalindFranklinSupplemental.pdf

Thanks for the tip, I'll try using the 11.9 font type. With 11 the text is floating a bit at the bottom, so it does look a little off

630670 said:
Thanks for the tip, I'll try using the 11.9 font type. With 11 the text is floating a bit at the bottom, so it does look a little off

mr. johnny one eye you are awesome, it works now. thanks :love:

Heh, thanks guys. Just don't forget, Braluk did most of the work. I just changed a setting :) :luck: :luck:

Three cheers for our Adobe formatting heroes! :thumbup:

Johnny_one_eye said:
Heh, thanks guys. Just don't forget, Braluk did most of the work. I just changed a setting :) :luck: :luck:

hey guys sorry i didnt get to format it yesterdya, had a personal crisis. things are okay now, and things i should rerelease a new formatted one tonght with the font size edited, but it looks like johnny eye has crisis control on lockdown ;)

Nevertheless, there will be something up tonight.

i am completely illiterate at PDF, so i still can't get it to work. i don't have adobe pro, just reader. i tried typing in my essay. that really didn't work. you couldn't see the '.' at all. by the 10th line, the solid line was creeping into my letters. **sigh** my essay is all ready to go, just need to put it in. don't have a typewriter at home. our internet at home is broken with little hope of being fixed on a friday afternoon. anyone with any other suggestions for me to try??? if all else fails, i will print it off and write it. i have nice handwriting i think :rolleyes: any other suggestions??

ill release another one tonight, then see if that will work, im sure you can also get a pdf from someone else on this thread who had time to tweak theirs out as well.

i kind of found a solution i think. i did the little camera button screen shot of the essay page. i then tried pasting it in word. that didn't really work for me. so i then tried pasting it in Paint. they have the little text box option. it is working for me so far. looks fine on the print preview page. we will see how this goes. i just need to get it done before work is done because my internet is broken. eeeek. thanks for the help.

spospo said:
i kind of found a solution i think. i did the little camera button screen shot of the essay page. i then tried pasting it in word. that didn't really work for me. so i then tried pasting it in Paint. they have the little text box option. it is working for me so far. looks fine on the print preview page. we will see how this goes. i just need to get it done before work is done because my internet is broken. eeeek. thanks for the help.
Did the two new ones I posted not work for you?
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/blackhll/j/RosalindFranklinSupplemental2.pdf (more characters)
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/blackhll/j/RosalindFranklinSupplemental.pdf (fewer characters)

Johnny_one_eye said:

yeah, i tried them. but i get the "page can't be displayed" message :( sometimes my work computer blocks certain sites, but when it blocks them, it always puts up the "this was blocked because you are a bad person" message. i wish your links worked for me

I'm sure someone already posted this but I'm just trying to help, this works with Adobe Professional....

1. Save the pdf that you want to use
2.Choose the "Forms" button in the upper right tool bar
3. Select Make Forms fillable in Adobe Designer
4. It highlights the pdf you want to fill out as a form and opens in a new window
5. Choose the option "maintain editability"
6. Select the option that lets you fill in the form then print
7. click finish, choose a font
8. and it will allow you to type directly in the form and you can click on a tab in the document that lets you see what the pdf version will fill out.

Although the formatting may change slightly, it's usually unnoticeable and this is a quick and easy way to fill out those annoying pdfs that don't let you type directly on them! :)

spospo said:

spospo said:
yeah, i tried them. but i get the "page can't be displayed" message :( sometimes my work computer blocks certain sites, but when it blocks them, it always puts up the "this was blocked because you are a bad person" message. i wish your links worked for me
Ah sorry about that. Our school's webhost is flaky sometimes. These work?
http://amsa.illinexus.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/RosalindFranklinSupplemental2.pdf
http://amsa.illinexus.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/RosalindFranklinSupplemental.pdf