Rheumatic fever aftermath

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuwie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask you for an advice. I am a second year medical student who had rheumatic fever as a child. Both of my knee joints were swollen and I couldn't walk for a while. Now the aftermath of it doesn't bother me much, but I have a crepitus in one of my knees when I extend it and I cannot sit with my knees bent for a long time because they start hurting. In addition, it seems like I get tired from a lot of walking and I run out of breath quicker when I run. Has anyone else here had a similar experience and do you think this may affect my clinical and residency years, which require plenty of walking?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will affect you if you are just doing regular walking/running about the wards, but having had rheumatic fever you are at increased risk for cardiac problems and if you are experiencing shortness of breath you might want to get that checked out-- you might have some mild valve insufficiency--I'm by no means diagnosing or trying to scare you, just telling you what you probably already know ;)

It would be a good idea for you to go to your doctor and probably go for an echo to see if you do in fact have any heart valve problems. Always a good idea to get checked out if you're experiencing SOB, especially in light of your history.