• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

anonymousss1234

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2016
Status
Pharmacy Student
Quick question. I was recently invited to my school's rho chi chapter. Does anyone know if I need to maintain a certain GPA to stay in? Or is it once I'm in, I'm in?

I can't seem to find any info about this anywhere.

-anon

ZakMeister

RPh
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2012
Connecticut
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pharmacy Student, Pharmacist
At my school, you need to be at the top 20 in class and have GPA above 3.5. I am in the Society for good as long as I maintain my GPA above 3.5 and have no infractions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the Ads

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
You're in for life and you'll get absolutely nothing from it other than a cute pin
This is true, and I did Rho Chi. I even lost my Rho Chi pin, just have my BPS pin on my white coat. But, might as well have 1 more thing on your resume if you want to do residency.

Reactions: Dalteparin

anonymousss1234

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2016
Status
Pharmacy Student
At my school, you need to be at the top 20 in class and have GPA above 3.5. I am in the Society for good as long as I maintain my GPA above 3.5 and have no infractions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Whoa really? Your answer is a lot different than everyone else's. You can get kicked out if your GPA gets below a 3.5? Which school?

anonymousss1234

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2016
Status
Pharmacy Student
This is true, and I did Rho Chi. I even lost my Rho Chi pin, just have my BPS pin on my white coat. But, might as well have 1 more thing on your resume if you want to do residency.
Yeah, I'm honestly not expecting to get anything out of it. It'll just be an add-on for a possible residency in the future.

trailerpark

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I didn't get Rho Chi because after year 1 I got a A- in a lab and later found out everyone in Rho Chi had 4.0, bull if you ask me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

anonymousss1234

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2016
Status
Pharmacy Student
I didn't get Rho Chi because after year 1 I got a A- in a lab and later found out everyone in Rho Chi had 4.0, bull if you ask me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Wow that stinks. It's kind of a shame it depends on how well you compare to your classmates instead of your actual gpa. Could be a good thing, bad thing. I feel like I barely made it in, idk.

Dalteparin

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Wow that stinks. It's kind of a shame it depends on how well you compare to your classmates instead of your actual gpa. Could be a good thing, bad thing. I feel like I barely made it in, idk.
Yeah, in my class there were 8 or 10 people with 4.0s, which meant that a lot of my classmates who had say, a 3.6 missed the cut. Meanwhile, the class before me only had 2 students with 4.0s, meaning that some of the Rho Chi people in that class had lower GPAs than the Rho Chi people in my class. (I missed it by a long shot, so it didn't affect me, but it kinda sucked for those guys.)

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Other than putting it on your application and getting a nice pin, I'm not sure what the tangibles are exactly.

Last edited:

Sine Cura

10 seconds or less
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
Rho Chi is basically like those alphabet-soup undergrad "honor societies." No one really cares outside of school and almost no one cares inside school.

At my school the cutoff for 20% ended up being like a 3.4-3.5.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you going to cut up those white purple cords and fashion them into decorations for your white coat General? I prefer the green yellow of Phi Lambda Sigma. :p

npage148

15+ Year Member
May 2, 2005
Us
Status
Pharmacist
Dr. Gidaffi pharmD

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
Pharmacist
Wow, seriously? I guess I lucked in being in a dumb class (almost 50% attrition after the first year....a new record for the school.) I got in Rho Chi and my GPA was far lower than 4.0. I'm fairly sure no one in my class had a 4.0.

About the Ads