Rhode Island Residency/Job Prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure, but it's a little bit tougher with $250k in debt

Haha, I wish that's all it was. I blew past the 250k mark sometime around the beginning of third year. I know salaries will most likely continue to drop, but it will help that I'm planning on working in relatively rural areas where they will be somewhat higher. I seriously doubt anesthesiology salaries will ever drop below that of FM docs, and I've worked much harder to earn much less.

Members don't see this ad.

There are plenty of jobs in the northeast...including Rhode Island. There are very few good jobs in the northeast...maybe even none. The benefit to Massachusetts and Rhode Island is that they are known not to enforce non-compete clauses. With that said, a good anesthesia job in the northeast will pay 350k with 4-6 weeks vacation. Often you will see starting salaries at 300k or less with 4 weeks vacation.

You're paying a premium to enjoy the wonderful northeastern winters...
No one should ever take a job with less than 6 weeks of vacation. If you are working nights and weekends on-call, vacation is comp-time, meaning you have already worked those hours and you are being paid back for all the extra hours you have worked. If they are only offering 4 weeks, they don't understand the strain of putting all those 3:00 am calls, and working weekends. This probably means the group making the offer is not run by Anesthesiologists.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So the general consensus here is that
PP > AMC > Hospital Conglomerate ?

I've heard mixed things about Lifespan in the local news. In your opinions, what would be the "ideal" gas job to look for?

Members don't see this ad :)
So the general consensus here is that
PP > AMC > Hospital Conglomerate ?

I've heard mixed things about Lifespan in the local news. In your opinions, what would be the "ideal" gas job to look for?

I think in some cases it is PP>Hospital Conglomerate>AMC. At least with the hospital conglomerate you may be part of a Physicians group where the management of the group is local. In the case of Lifespan, the management group is led by Physicians not M.B.A. executives, and the management is in Rhode Island, not in Texas or Florida. So it can vary depending on the set up of the group. Sometimes the hospital group is an Academic medical center. If that is what you are looking for, it may be a good option.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think in some cases it is PP>Hospital Conglomerate>AMC. At least with the hospital conglomerate you may be part of a Physicians group where the management of the group is local. In the case of Lifespan, the management group is led by Physicians not M.B.A. executives, and the management is in Rhode Island, not in Texas or Florida. So it can vary depending on the set up of the group. Sometimes the hospital group is an Academic medical center. If that is what you are looking for it may be a good option.
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the benefits and detractors to employment at an academic medical center?

I enjoy the environment of academia, which is one of the reasons that I'm comfortable working there at least for my starting years (transitioning to A PP or community hospital in rural RI)

Everyone here seems to think AMCs are Satan incarnate...

Is there a particular reason? I would expect an AMC to respect the divide between CRNA & MD more than a conglomerate. Mid level encroachment seems to be the biggest concern on these boards..

No one should ever take a job with less than 6 weeks of vacation. If you are working nights and weekends on-call, vacation is comp-time, meaning you have already worked those hours and you are being paid back for all the extra hours you have worked. If they are only offering 4 weeks, they don't understand the strain of putting all those 3:00 am calls, and working weekends. This probably means the group making the offer is not run by Anesthesiologists.

Oh I get it. When someone is evaluating a job he should think of the total days off per year and not just vacation weeks. Six weeks vacation is different if you work two weekends a month versus one weekend every two months. My point is that many of the jobs being offered in the northeast are only offering 4 weeks to start regardless of the number of weekends/holidays/nights worked.

Everyone here seems to think AMCs are Satan incarnate...

Is there a particular reason? I would expect an AMC to respect the divide between CRNA & MD more than a conglomerate. Mid level encroachment seems to be the biggest concern on these boards..

Because AMCs take a huge chunk of the revenues that you generate to the tune of hundreds of thousands every year and offer nothing of value in return. Instead that money gets returned to investors.

Because AMCs take a huge chunk of the revenues that you generate to the tune of hundreds of thousands every year and offer nothing of value in return. Instead that money gets returned to investors.

I see.

Is the issue that:
A- this translates to lower salaries
B- the ratio of salary to output is unacceptable (we see more patients and are overworked but this does not translate to more pay)

Or both?

Sorry to inundate with questions. I just want to learn!

Oh I get it. When someone is evaluating a job he should think of the total days off per year and not just vacation weeks. Six weeks vacation is different if you work two weekends a month versus one weekend every two months. My point is that many of the jobs being offered in the northeast are only offering 4 weeks to start regardless of the number of weekends/holidays/nights worked.

Yes, and only an M.B.A. executive would have the gall to offer a Physician taking overnight call and working weekends 4 weeks of vacation. I would run from that offer. It is an insult.

I see.

Is the issue that:
A- this translates to lower salaries
B- the ratio of salary to output is unacceptable (we see more patients and are overworked but this does not translate to more pay)

Or both?

Sorry to inundate with questions. I just want to learn!

Are you serious? What do you think?

Yes, and only an M.B.A. executive would have the gall to offer a Physician taking overnight call and working weekends 4 weeks of vacation. I would run from that offer. It is an insult.

Or partners in a predatory private practice looking to employ unsuspecting new grads and maximize their collections to pad their retirement accounts before they sell to an AMC or the like...

It's not just MBAs taking advantage of student debt and uncertainty in the job market. Plenty of MDs are exploiting their own too.

Or partners in a predatory private practice looking to employ unsuspecting new grads and maximize their collections to pad their retirement accounts before they sell to an AMC or the like...

It's not just MBAs taking advantage of student debt and uncertainty in the job market. Plenty of MDs are exploiting their own too.

This is probably a dumb question but what is stopping anesthesiologists as a whole from standing up to these kinds of practices? Why isn't there a stronger lobbying force against mid level encroachment as well?

Unionizing has worked very well for the nurses....

@RogueBanana, take some time to search and read through this forum for a while. Every question you're asking has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum more times than I can count. Good on ya for asking these questions, but they have all been answered before.