Rice-Baylor Merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyDemosthenes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
So why does it say that it's a "free-standing medical school" or whatever? Why is it in the market to be associated with another University?

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't read the second part of the article. It's weird that it wouldn't just go back to the University with which it was previously affiliated, but you know. Texas.

Baylor College of Medicine is no longer in any way affiliated with Baylor University. The two split a long time ago.
Wow, Baylor cut ties with their undergrad and their main teaching hospital? DRAMA!!!

So why does it say that it's a "free-standing medical school" or whatever? Why is it in the market to be associated with another University?

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't read the second part of the article. It's weird that it wouldn't just go back to the University with which it was previously affiliated, but you know. Texas.

I think there were some differences over where research funding was going as Baylor undergrad is a religiously affiliated school. That part is old news.

Wow, Baylor cut ties with their undergrad and their main teaching hospital? DRAMA!!!

the undergrad and med school are like 3 hours away from each other by car. the Baylor/Baylor split happened in 1969, so it's hardly breaking news.

also, Baylor is unique in that there are MANY teaching hospitals (it's part of the Texas Medical Center), so the split from Methodist probably wasn't as big of a deal as it would have been at a school with only one affiliated teaching hospital.

haha this happened decades ago. baylor med is in houston; baylor undergrad is in waco. it actually seems more reasonable that baylor merge with rice, as rice is pretty much across the street from the med school.

plus they already share several programs (MD/MBA, MD/PhD, BS/MD).

the undergrad and med school are like 3 hours away from each other by car. the Baylor/Baylor split happened in 1969, so it's hardly breaking news.

also, Baylor is unique in that there are MANY teaching hospitals (it's part of the Texas Medical Center), so the split from Methodist probably wasn't as big of a deal as it would have been at a school with only one affiliated teaching hospital.
Ohh wow! I never knew Baylor COM wasn't associated with Baylor University.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always wondered why the two were so far apart! Yeah, since it's in Houston would probably make the most sense for Rice to aquire it. Rice probably has that kind of money to shell out too (compared to University of Houston, no offense!)

I've never heard of the potential UH/Baylor ties. Doesn't make much sense though - I would expect Baylor to be more affiliated with a private university rather than a state university.

It also makes sense for Rice and Baylor to become affiliated since they're almost literally across the train tracks from each other.

Baylor cut ties with Methodist due to some feuds about how the funds would be split to the Baylor physicians who worked at Methodist. It caused quite a buzz all over the city.

The possible strains have raised questions about the future of Baylor's president, Dr. Peter Traber. A spokesperson declined comment, but numerous sources in the Medical Center said his leadership is the subject of board discussion.
Dr. Traber annoys me. For a selfish reason, but still. He annoys me.

I'm excited about the new hospital! I can see construction from my window, and it looks like it's coming along nicely! :D

Last edited:
Wow, a girl who puts rocks in her mouth and practices speaking while running along the Gulf coast. I love that. I mean, I respect any girl with any familiarity with classical Greek culture, but rocks in your mouth while running, well, sure, I am impressed.

It helps with speech impediments and makes the voice stronger for those especially tough interviews. :laugh: Well, also, the name is a reference to Ender's Game.

Supposedly, they will call the school "Baylor College of Medicine at Rice University". Talk about a mouthful.

it helps with speech impediments and makes the voice stronger for those especially tough interviews. :laugh: Well, also, the name is a reference to ender's game.

Supposedly, they will call the school "baylor college of medicine at rice university". Talk about a mouthful.

bcmru? :(

Chancellor Stewart needs to comment on this article:

Baylor can do whatever it wants, but it does not even compare to Stewart University, one of the top medical schools EVER!

25% of the graduating undergrad class at Rice goes into medicine; that's a staggering statistic. Rice currently has a giant aim to become 'ivy-league-esque,' and I worry their intentions with acquiring the teaching hospital won't prove fruitful. Teaching hospitals cost money; I don't know of any that aren't operating in the red. Sure, Rice has the money (over 4 bil in endowment I believe)...but will taking the loss really do anything for the university? The university already has massive collaborations with the TMC, and the collaborative center is currently being built to promote this trend - why obtain a loss on the books? Bragging rights?

I thought Ben Taub was the primary teaching hospital there?