Right to feel its too soon for PB?

Started by OneDayDocDude
Tags Tags
post bac
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OneDayDocDude

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, question for you as the opening of an application window for PB programs nears.

I quit my job in October 2015 to begin a pursuit of a non-trad road into Med school. It was something I was never sure of as an undergrad science lover with other interests. Graduated with a BA in Political Science and spent the 4 years since graduation working, but couldn't shake the thought that medicine was the right career.

Was only able to relocate back to the U.S in May, and gotten myself into 3 volunteering programs, while working part time. (Volunteering positions only just started, finally, in mid-june, and continuing to Mid/late September).

As August approaches, I find myself thinking that my application might not be ready, for the simple reason that I've not finished any volunteer commitments, and won't have until just after I submit my applications. (Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply asap after the window opens)

Also, haven't had the chance to shadow any physicians yet.

I really have my heart set on the one-year programs, to fast track this process and unburden myself from the logistical nightmare of a DIY Post Bach, but I'm worried about being rejected, and then sort of burning those few bridges to a 1 year program for next time

Am I right to worry that admission committees for PB schools might see my application as being rushed? Or that they'll perceive it as being unsatisfactorily compelling? I'm considering doing a CNA after I finish my volunteering commitments, so that I can shadow physicians, or a get any kind of clinical work in a hospital, then applying next August (for the program in August/September 2018)

What are your thoughts?
 
Why does your volunteering end in September? I would say you should keep on with it until you matriculate to med school.

As someone who went through the application process of applying to post-baccs (and got into several prestigious ones), I don't think it's as important to apply the moment applications open up. If I recall correctly, I didn't apply till late fall and I was fine.

You should figure out btw if it makes sense for you to do these one year programs. They are very expensive and you can probably make a do it yourself program at your local university for a lot cheaper and with the same timeline. Just my thoughts!

PS - it's post-bacc (as in after you earned your baccalaureate degree), not post-Bach 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied in late May 2014 to start in August 2014, and I got in. I had zero formal clinical experiences at the time. There is no way that you are too late to apply for the 2017-2018 year. As a matter of fact, I think you're early - perhaps too early. What are you going to do for the next 13 months if you apply now? Why not get a head start on your coursework?

Have you done some of the pre-req coursework already? If not, I'm not sure that it is realistic to do a 1-year program, succeed, and be ready to apply the summer after you finish. The basics (not including psych/soc) are ~38 credits (10 Gen Chem, 10 Orgo, 9 Bio, 9 Physics), and your gen chem/orgo is sequential in nature. If you're planning to apply the summer after you finish your program, you also have the MCAT to study for and a monster of an application to put together, in addition to continuing to pursue clinical experiences throughout the year leading up to your application. My advice would be to slow it down - perhaps try and find an 18 month program that begins in January.

I would question 1-year programs that say they can get you through 2 semesters-worth of Gen Chem and 2 semesters-worth of Orgo in 10 months. I'm sure you can cover all the course material, but to what depth? Deep enough to truly internalize the concepts and then apply them in new and novel ways on the MCAT? That's the part I'm unsure of.

Just my 2.
 
I applied in late May 2014 to start in August 2014, and I got in. I had zero formal clinical experiences at the time. There is no way that you are too late to apply for the 2017-2018 year. As a matter of fact, I think you're early - perhaps too early.

First of all, thanks for replying. I was talking specifically about the one-year PB programs, I should have been more clear about that. Can I ask what kind of program you applied for so late?
(I'm interested in the one-years because they're structured, and all you have to worry about it studying, and not class sequences & registration, getting a hold of LORs, MCAT prep, etc). Yes, it'll be rigorous, but at least it will end in a definite time period. In addition, the matirculation rate in one-years hovers around 90% as opposed to the larger programs, that accept more people, but with a 50-60% attrition rate. I'm worried about getting lost in the machinery of these larger, unstructured programs.

What are you going to do for the next 13 months if you apply now? Why not get a head start on your coursework?

Work more, not necessarily in a medical/clinical job, and then just volunteer and especially shadow at a less intense clip than I am currently. At the moment, I'm volunteering in three different hospital departments, and working part-time in the evenings just to slow down the financial bleeding (with an eye towards applying to the one year PB programs in early fall). If i'm accepted, I can focus on my income a little bit more, while continuing to do some ECs that might help come medschool application time.... that was the logic at least...

I would question 1-year programs that say they can get you through 2 semesters-worth of Gen Chem and 2 semesters-worth of Orgo in 10 months. I'm sure you can cover all the course material, but to what depth? Deep enough to truly internalize the concepts and then apply them in new and novel ways on the MCAT? That's the part I'm unsure of.

Just my 2.

I hear you, im just choosing my poison as being rigour and exhaustion in the short term vs uncertainty and more sustained logistical work, if that makes sense. I'm worried about squeezing in MCAT at the end of such a hard year too, but it seems better than the alternative. Who knows how one might be derailed in a process spanning 24-30 months.
 
Why does your volunteering end in September? I would say you should keep on with it until you matriculate to med school.

I meant that my current volunteering commitments end in September. You're right of course, I will definitely have to do something afterwards, but I'll have to retrain my focus on making some money again, because I've been depleting my savings to afford me the chance to volunteer so intensely for a short while before the next application cycle.

As someone who went through the application process of applying to post-baccs (and got into several prestigious ones), I don't think it's as important to apply the moment applications open up. If I recall correctly, I didn't apply till late fall and I was fine.

I should add that part of my concern is I don't feel I have a particularly convincing narrative for why I want to do medicine, like I understand many successful applicants to these programs have. It was simply a matter of internal reflection, given my interests, work history and a greater understanding of my interests. That is to say, I KNOW that medicine is the right field for me, but I can't justify it other than to say I know it is, being older and wiser now, and having worked outside medicine for a good few years.

Can I ask
1. What was your 'story' when it came time to apply, how did you manage to convince these schools that you were correct about med school being right for you
2. What program did you end up doing?
 
I am in the same exact boat as I was thinking about obtaining either a CNA or EMT certificate in order to obtain some clinical and direct patient care experience. What 1 year PBPM programs have you looked into so far?
 
First of all, thanks for replying. I was talking specifically about the one-year PB programs, I should have been more clear about that. Can I ask what kind of program you applied for so late?
(I'm interested in the one-years because they're structured, and all you have to worry about it studying, and not class sequences & registration, getting a hold of LORs, MCAT prep, etc). Yes, it'll be rigorous, but at least it will end in a definite time period. In addition, the matirculation rate in one-years hovers around 90% as opposed to the larger programs, that accept more people, but with a 50-60% attrition rate. I'm worried about getting lost in the machinery of these larger, unstructured programs.

I applied to the Columbia University traditional 2-year post-bac program in late May. Granted, I wasn't accepted until mid-July, which created a bit of a scramble to move my family across the country in order to start school the last week of August. I'm also fairly certain that I was the last person accepted for my class lol. I simply included my story to show that it can be done, that's all.

Many of the structured programs are 1.5-2 years also. Mine was very well structured ,and it was 2 years (22 months, really). The reported success rate at my program is over 90% also, for those that see it through to the end. However, I will say that not everyone who started the program ended up finishing it, though from my perspective that's on them, not the program per se. I'm not sure how a 1-year program is going to allow you to get around LORs and the MCAT, unless the program you are thinking about doing has direct linkage with med schools that don't require anything from their linkage applicants beyond the post-bac coursework. The Columbia program has linkage also, but linkage students still have to do the complete AMCAS application. Some of linkage schools don't require the MCAT though, which is sweet for those guys.

I hear you on the concern about getting lost in larger programs - however, I would say that dynamic is probably structured vs. unstructured, large vs. small and NOT a result of 1-year vs. 2-year programs, but that's just my opinion.

Work more, not necessarily in a medical/clinical job, and then just volunteer and especially shadow at a less intense clip than I am currently. At the moment, I'm volunteering in three different hospital departments, and working part-time in the evenings just to slow down the financial bleeding (with an eye towards applying to the one year PB programs in early fall). If i'm accepted, I can focus on my income a little bit more, while continuing to do some ECs that might help come medschool application time.... that was the logic at least...

Makes sense. Non-trad students like us have to make ends meet, especially if you have family obligations. I would think that everyone understands that, but I'm not on a med school ADCOM. Either way, as long as you're getting some clinical time in and some more medical exposure, I can't see how anyone would hold that against you. This will also afford you time to internally articulate your motivations for pursuing medicine. One thing I would start immediately is keeping a journal of your clinical/shadowing/volunteering experiences. I did this, and it was an excellent way to capture my experiences for my AMCAS application. I also found that it helped me organize my thoughts and motivations, as the reflection forced me to deep-think my reasoning and articulate my motivations to enter medicine. By the time that AMCAS application comes around, you might be surprised how helpful it is. It was for me anyway.

I hear you, im just choosing my poison as being rigour and exhaustion in the short term vs uncertainty and more sustained logistical work, if that makes sense. I'm worried about squeezing in MCAT at the end of such a hard year too, but it seems better than the alternative. Who knows how one might be derailed in a process spanning 24-30 months

I agree - only you know your academic capability and the depth to which you can absorb information at a rapid rate. I think it also depends heavily on the academic rigor of the program. I am positive that I could have successfully completed all my pre-req's in 15 months at my community college, but I am equally positive that I could not have done so at Columbia. To each their own. I would simply caution against over-confidence in oneself, because the stakes are so high. If you get half way through a 1-year program only to realize that you were doing it to fast, you're now stuck with 15-20 credits of pre-reqs at a sub-optimal grade level, and will have to explain that. Personally, I would rather take the perspective that academic discretion is the better half of valor, but what the hell do I know; I'm just applying to med school now lol

Either way, best of luck!

Froggy