right to refuse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kniles5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew what our rights are when it comes to refusing to treat rude, belligerent A** holes that disrespect us. Does the dental board protect us from these dregs on society? Or are we trapped into serving them?
Ex- you have a patient that you have seen for a couple of years. They come in one day with a cavity being rude and disrespectful. Are we obligated to fix their tooth? or can we say " go find another dentist, I will not see you anymore."

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if dentists are legally bound to treat every patient that comes in the door, but I could think of several ways you can indirectly turn away a belligerant patient. For example, you can quote an exorbitant amount for a treatment that he needs, etc.
Or, you can be just honest and tell him that you feel uncomfortable treating him ... try telling him that it would be best for him and you if he were to go to another dentist.

I don't think that somebody being rude one day, after you've treated them for several years, is grounds for dismissing them.

However, I do think that identifying possible patient conflicts on the FIRST visit is an important step, and certainly patient's can be turned away at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
LIer2010 said:
I don't know if dentists are legally bound to treat every patient that comes in the door, but I could think of several ways you can indirectly turn away a belligerant patient. For example, you can quote an exorbitant amount for a treatment that he needs, etc.
Or, you can be just honest and tell him that you feel uncomfortable treating him ... try telling him that it would be best for him and you if he were to go to another dentist.

wouldnt that result in a lawsuit perhaps? i dont know im just askin!!

Patient abandonment is the problem. If a schmuck comes to you for his regular cleaning, he is considered to be your patient. If that patient comes to you with a problem, like a cavity, and is being a real jerk to you, or makes a scene in your office, or is inappropriate with your staff, you are required to see them or your license will be challenged by the board for "patient abandonment" That is, if the schmuck files a complaint. How can we protect ourselves from being forced to serve a** holes?

Kniles5 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew what our rights are when it comes to refusing to treat rude, belligerent A** holes that disrespect us. Does the dental board protect us from these dregs on society? Or are we trapped into serving them?
Ex- you have a patient that you have seen for a couple of years. They come in one day with a cavity being rude and disrespectful. Are we obligated to fix their tooth? or can we say " go find another dentist, I will not see you anymore."

Basically, If I've got a rude a$$ h(*& in the chair, I'll just be rude back to them, they're not expecting it, and often they'll realize what an a$$ h*&^ they're being and stop. My partner will one up me and be rude back to the a$$ h)(*& at a volume that the whole office can hear, and often then the a$$ h*(& turns a bright shade of red :eek: :D

ItsGavinC said:
I don't think that somebody being rude one day, after you've treated them for several years, is grounds for dismissing them.

However, I do think that identifying possible patient conflicts on the FIRST visit is an important step, and certainly patient's can be turned away at that point.
The problem here is, normally, you are just going to be doing a regular check up, which is usually covered by insurance. At this point, the patient is nice because the fees are minimal. Once they need to pay for a crown or something, all of the sudden your nice patient is cursing and talking down to your staff in the waiting room. Then, in your chair they continue to curse and be rude to you, now you have to fix their teeth?
You are not legally allowed to tell them to find another dentist? That is B.S.

Kniles5 said:
The problem here is, normally, you are just going to be doing a regular check up, which is usually covered by insurance. At this point, the patient is nice because the fees are minimal. Once they need to pay for a crown or something, all of the sudden your nice patient is cursing and talking down to your staff in the waiting room. Then, in your chair they continue to curse and be rude to you, now you have to fix their teeth?
You are not legally allowed to tell them to find another dentist? That is B.S.
That's why you collect fees at the beginning of treatment, not at the end. If you haven't initiated a treatment, you're perfectly free to point them to the next dentist down the road on legitimate grounds of "poor doctor-patient relationship" (important caveat--if you *do* refuse to treat a patient, you have to direct them someplace they can be treated). If you've already collected your $800 crown fee, patients are a lot more likely to tamp down any temper tantrums until after you've finished the procedure (at which point you can again kick their sorry tails out of the office without fear of legal reprisal).

Kniles5 said:
If s/he has a file/chart in your office already (ie; returning patient), then yes, you are expected to treat her/him.
If s/he is a new patient, and has no emergency, you have the right not to treat her/him on that visit, until you refer her/him to another dentist.
If s/he has an emergency, you are obliged to treat her/him, followed by a 30 day period where s/he would be entitled to follow up visits at your office, in the mean time, you could refer her/him out for continual of regular service.
NB: These are the laws which apply here in the state of FL. I would check with your state board, just thought I would share what I know.

DrJeff said:
Basically, If I've got a rude a$$ h(*& in the chair, I'll just be rude back to them, they're not expecting it, and often they'll realize what an a$$ h*&^ they're being and stop. My partner will one up me and be rude back to the a$$ h)(*& at a volume that the whole office can hear, and often then the a$$ h*(& turns a bright shade of red :eek: :D
I work in a county hospital and take a similar approach, as many of these crack-****** think they can just start ranting and that I have to stand there and take it. As soon as I raise my voice and get b!tch-ass-crazy on them, they settle down when they know they can't win. But I usually finish my lecture with "I'm here to help you but you're not letting me help.....do you want my help or not?" I have yet to hear someone turn down my help. But maybe that's because it's a county hospital and they have nowhere else to go.

toofache32 said:
I work in a county hospital and take a similar approach, as many of these crack-****** think they can just start ranting and that I have to stand there and take it. As soon as I raise my voice and get b!tch-ass-crazy on them, they settle down when they know they can't win. But I usually finish my lecture with "I'm here to help you but you're not letting me help.....do you want my help or not?" I have yet to hear someone turn down my help. But maybe that's because it's a county hospital and they have nowhere else to go.
It blows my mind how people can be stupid enough to make a scene before being treated. It's like going to a restaurant and being a d*ckhead to the waiter before he brings your food--why risk the chance of him pissing in your soup? We, as dentists, have a lot of control over how patients' procedures go, and I find it incredible that people don't respect that. It's the kind of good decision making that got the patient into that position to begin with...

I can handle the b*tching and moaning, but what I can't handle is when Medicaid patients start acting like they're doing me a favor by showing up with a swollen face. That's what unleashes my beast, usually followed by the patient making a trip down to the hospital complaint department. My favorite part of the whole exchange is when they ask for my name, expecting to see the fear of God in my eyes. It really takes the wind out of their sails when I write "VOID" on one of my prescription pads and hand it to them, followed by directions of where to go--most don't end up wasting the time. I laugh sometimes thinking about what the people in the CD must think when all these people are coming down with voided prescription slips.